Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to delete a* file with out deleting file name starting with a? Post 302744149 by itkamaraj on Friday 14th of December 2012 12:31:07 AM
Old 12-14-2012
execute the below command, and make sure, it prints the directory which you want to remove.

Code:
find . -type d -name "a*"

then issue the below command to remove it.

Code:

find . -type d -name "a*" -exec rm -rf {}\;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to delete N bytes from the starting of the file from a C function???

Hi, I want to delete the initial few lines (or even bytes) from a file. I want to do this from a C function & this is in Linux platform. The truncate & ftruncate is allowing me to delete bytes from the end only. Any linux C function calls or ideas or any suggestions?? I'm in a dead... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete initial N bytes from the starting of the file using sed?

I want to delete initial N bytes of a file using sed. How can I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines starting with spaces then non-numerals

I did a search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to answer this but my apologies if it has been answered before. I have some text files and I need to remove any line that does not start with a number (0-9). In actuality every line like this starts with a 'T' (or 't') but there are a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skray
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a line in a file starting with - Perl one-liner

Hi I need a perl onliner to delete a line in a file starting with few words. Example file.txt ---------- my name is don I live in London I am woking as engineer I want to delete a line starting with 'I live in' using perl oneliner and in place edit with out temporary files Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines not starting with numbers with sed

Title says all :p Thanks for your help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting rows starting with a character and word

Hi, I have multiple files of same format and I want to delete the lines starting with # and The from all of them I am using egrep -v '^(#|$)' for # but unable to do for both # and The Please guide Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file starting from a specific time to the end of file

I have a log file which have a date and time at the start of every line. I need to search the log file starting from a specific time to the end of file. For example: Starting point: July 29 2018 21:00:00 End point : end of file My concern is what if the pattern of `July 29 2018 21:00:00`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
3 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)