Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read records in a file and sort it? Post 302744011 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of December 2012 04:04:42 PM
Old 12-13-2012
After reading is a little too late to sort, isn't it?

You sort with the sort command. To sort on the 3rd column you'd do sort -t'|' -k 3,3 inputfile > outputfile

More details depend on what your data looks like.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular line in a file with 500000 records init

I am trying to open a file and check a record. The file has 543267 records and I want to check the record 514455. I am trying to open in vi and go to that line :514455 but i get the error not enough lines in buffer How should i overcome this? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhssatya
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort & Split records in a file

Hi, I am new to scripting. I need a script to sort and the records in a file and then split them into different files. For example, the file is: H1...................... H2...................... D2.................... D2.................... H1........................... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read records from a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where I need to read records one by one from a file. I have tried this below code: while read mLine do echo 'Line = '${mLine} done < input_file --- But the problem here is im getting the records with removed spaces. --Supposer if the record is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell script to read particular records from a file

i am reading an i/p file input.txt as below and want to read all filenames as in highlighted in bold below and put them in a different file output.txt. can someone help me with a shell script to do this? thanks in advance regards brad input.txt --------- START TYPE:OPT INIT_SEQ:01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradc
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file which has 3.7 million records

hi, I'm trying to sort a file which has 3.7 million records an gettign the following error...any help is appreciated... sort: Write error while merging. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each 2 records from a file

Hi, I have 10000 records in my test.dat file All records are under the following format a,12,45,bn,c a,16,46,bn1,c a,18,47,bn2,c a,12,47,bn3,c a,11,49,bn4,c I have to read each 2 records and assign it into a temp file .Can anybody help me in this? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file

Hi all, I So, I've got a monster text document comprising a list of various company names and associated info just in a long list one after another. I need to sort them alphabetically by name... The text document looks like this: Company Name: the_first_company's_name_here Address:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quee1763
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file with n records as one big string using linux

Hello! Is there a way i can read a file with n records as one big string using linux shell script? I have a file in the below format - REC1 REC2 REC3 . . . REC4 Record length is 3000 bytes per record and with a newline char at the end. What i need to do is - read this file as one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular records from a file?

Hi All Can anybody let me know the code to read a particular record from a file For e.g. File Name: File.txt File content: Script_path=/abc/def/script/ File_path=/xyz/data/ Business Date=19990905 SERVER_NAME=Server DATABASE_NAME=Database Login=NewUser Password=NewPassword ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddhartha9833
3 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)