Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with finding the latest modified version of a file within directories Post 302743995 by Corona688 on Thursday 13th of December 2012 03:47:24 PM
Old 12-13-2012
Disk cache should make finding the second and third files easier after you've searched once. The directory entries will be in memory and not need to be read from disk again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Latest version of a file across the servers ..

:o How do I confirm that the script on one server is latest compare to other servers? Is there any script which can tell me the latest version of a file across the servers? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last modified file in 2 or more directories

Hi, Is there any simple way to get the last modified file in a set of 2 or more directories? This should return one file only (not 1 file per directory) Thanks for your help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m69w
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the file which is modified within last 2 hours

hi, I want to find a file which is modified within last 2 hours i am using sun-os i tried find . -name <filename> -mmin 120 i found that mmin option is not supported in sun-os is there any other alternative option suggestions welcome thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest modified file from the unix server.

hi Friends, In my directory i have some files. I need to find out latest modified file. Please help me. Sreenu. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenu80
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the latest modified file name in /home directory?

I only know how to list all sub-directories or files in specified directory. I don't know how to order them by modified date, furthermore, I don't know how to get the top one file in the sorted list. Wish you can do me a favor. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the list of users who modified a file

Dear all, Need a quick help/suggestion on monitoring a particular directory . We have a deployment directory say (/users/integration/deploy ) under this there are several files which can be edited by a number of users - We need to write a script which will check this deployment directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding the modified date time of a file

Hi, I am new bie to Unix. Might be a simple question I am asking. I want to find the last modified time of a file and find the difference between the currrent time and the last modified time. Appreciate, if someone can throw some light on what commands can be used. Cheers, James (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesJoe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest file in a Dir

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script and I am struck here: I need to find the latest file in a directory depending upon the date. For example: The files in the directory are: Filename_bo_20110619 Filename_bo_20110620 Filename_bo_20110621 Filename_bo_20110622 So here, I want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

to pick the latest file modified in a directory

I wan to pick the latest modified file name and redirect it to a file .. ls -tr | tail -1 >file but this is printing file ins side the filename , can anyone help me out (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies
du(1)							      General Commands Manual							     du(1)

NAME
du - summarize disk usage SYNOPSIS
type] [name]... DESCRIPTION
The command gives the number of 512-byte blocks allocated for all files and (recursively) directories within each directory and file speci- fied by the name operands. The block count includes the indirect blocks of the file. A file with two or more links is counted only once. If name is missing, the current working directory is used. By default, generates an entry only for the name operands and each directory contained within those hierarchies. By default, when a symbolic link is encountered on the command line or in the file hierarchy, will count the size of the symbolic link rather than the file referenced by the link, and will not follow the link to another portion of the file hierarchy. Options The command recognizes the following options: Print entries for each file encountered in the directory hierarchies in addition to the normal output. For each name operand that is a directory for which file system swap has been enabled, print the number of blocks the swap system is currently using. If a symbolic link is specified on the command line, will count the size of the file or file hierarchy referenced by the link. Unlike the option, it will not follow sym- bolic links encountered during the traversal of the directory hierarchy. Gives the block count in 1024-byte blocks. If a symbolic link is specified on the command line or encountered during the traversal of a file hierarchy, will count the size of the file or file hierarchy referenced by the link. Print messages about directories that cannot be read, files that cannot be accessed, and so on. is normally silent about such conditions. Print only the grand total of disk usage for each of the specified name operands. Restrict reporting to file systems of the specified type. (Example values for type are and so on.) Multiple options can be specified. Disk usage is normally reported for the entire directory hierarchy below each of the given name operands. Restrict reporting to only those files that have the same device as the file specified by the name operand. Disk usage is normally reported for the entire directory hierarchy below each of the given name operands. According to the standards, specifying more than one of the mutually-exclusive options and will not be considered an error. The last option specified will determine the behavior of the utility. EXAMPLES
Display disk usage for the current working directory and all directories below it, generating error messages for unreadable directories: Display disk usage for the entire file system except for any or mounted file systems: Display disk usage for files on the root volume only. No usage statistics are collected for any other mounted file systems: WARNINGS
Block counts are incorrect for files that contain holes. SEE ALSO
df(1M), bdf(1M), quot(1M), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
du(1)