Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk fails when using variable Post 302743571 by michaelrozar17 on Thursday 13th of December 2012 03:12:18 AM
Old 12-13-2012
@Scrutinizer

Since both the variable and its value contains character c, i was getting the correct result while testing.However i must have verified again the command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh fails when setting variable

I have a csh that is called from autosys. It fails when it hits this code env | grep Rep if ( $status == 0 ) then echo "" else setenv REP "" endif However if I run it from the command line, as opposed to from autosys (job schduler) it runs fine. I thought it might be some kind of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillbates
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substr fails

Hi all, I want to get each line of a data file from position 464 plus 8 characters. I tried in two different ways, and the results were different. I'd like to know why. First method, using awk: awk '{print substr($0,464,8)}' CONCIL_VUELTA_ALF_100112_0801.okSecond method, using scripting:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing complex awk command into file fails

Using hp-ux's shell, I'm trying to echo a complex awk command into a script file for later use. But it fails on a newline character and splits the rest of the command onto the next line. echo ' printf("%s: TOTAL = %18.0lf\n", FILENAME, TOTAL) >> "TOTAL.TXT";' >>awk.script Looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command fails when a space is in the directory path variable

I have a script like this running under OS X 10.8. The problem arises when the find command encounters a space in the path name. I need the "dir" variable as I'll be extending the script to more general use. #!/bin/bash CFS=$IFS IFS=$(echo) set dir = "/Users/apta/Library/Mail\... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apta
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable expansion fails for substitution in range

I'm trying to change "F" to "G" in lines after the first one: 'FUE.SER' 5 1 1 F0501 F0401 F0502 2 1 F0301 E0501 F0201 E0502 F0302 3 1 F0503 E0503 E0301 E0201 E0302 E0504 F0504 4 1 F0402 F0202 E0202 F0101 E0203 F0203 F0403 5 1 F0505 E0505 E0303 E0204 E0304 E0506... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrl
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk works on Linux but fails on Solaris

On linux i have the below command working fine. awk '/<app-deploy>/{A=1;++i} /<\/app-deploy>/{print >> "found"i".tmp";A=0} A{;print >> "found"i".tmp"}' deploy.xml But the same is failing on Solaris Output: awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expansion of variable inside Single Quotes Fails!!

I am unable to expand the value of entry variable inside the nawk command. I tried three different nawk command as below but none of them substitute the value of entry variable. ls *.txt | while IFS='' read -r entry; do #nawk '/<name>/{A=1;++i} A{print >> ("cmd"i"_"$entry)}... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping on variable having new line \n fails

I have a for loop that constructs a variable "filelistonly" having entries separated by "\n" new line. The second, third & fourth while loops are my attempt to iterate the variable "filelistonly" upon new line "\n", however non of them work. Below is my script: //First Loop for i in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)