Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file..... Post 302743453 by Yoda on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 09:50:34 PM
Old 12-12-2012
To write result to a file:-
Code:
awk -v N=$name -v D=$newday '$0 ~ N { $NF=D; print $0 } $0 !~ N { print $0 } ' phonebook > tmp
# mv tmp phonebook

Note: I am writing result to a temporary file: tmp and then I am renaming file: tmp back to file: phonebook. But I have commented out that line because first you have to check and verify if file: tmp is having desired result. If yes, then please un-comment it. I hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to replace a line in a file using shell script

I have a property file in which the DB name is specified and when i run my servers they will point to the DB specified in that property file. Now i'm gonna write a script which will start all the services. But before that i just want to dynamically change the DB name in that property file by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_sakthi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i replace / with new line in shell script or sed ?

1. how can i replace ' / ' with new line in shell script or sed ? 2. how can set a conditon untill null in while loop while ( i== null ) do ...... done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace part of single string in a file

hi! i have a file consisting of the following lines: (BTW, = space) . . . 12ME_T1mapping_flip30bshortf 13DCE_whole_brainbshortf 13DCE_3Dbshortf . . . the list of scans starts at 1 and goes on sometimes up to 60 scans. i would like to change only the lines that contain 'whole' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace space or spaces in a line of a file with a single :

I am searching while I await a response to this so if it has been asked already I apologize. I have a file with lines in it that look like: bob johnson email@email.org I need it to look like: bob:johnson:email@email.org I am trying to use sed like this: sed -e 's/ /:/g' file >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace a line using a identifier

Hi all im having trouble starting with a shell script, i hope someone here can help me i have 2 files file1: 404905.jpg 516167 404906.jpg 516168 404917.psd 516183 404947.pdf 516250 file2: 516250 /tmp/RecyclePoster18241.pdf 516167 /tmp/ReunionCardFINAL.jpg 516168... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenray
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to multiple find and replace in a single file

Dear all I need a script for multiple find and replace in a single file. For example input file is - qwe wer ert rty tyu asd sdf dgf dfg fgh qwe wer det rtyyui jhkj ert asd asd dfgd now qwe should be replace with aaaaaa asd should be replace with bbbbbbbb rty should be replace... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildhorse
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace part of text of a line

Gurus, You know, I believe you do:-), the comnand uname -r give you the kernel version: serverA:~# uname -r 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64So, I want to replace this output inside in the line below that is inside the file: kernel = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64'Suppose, you move this file to ther... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipnote - write the comments in zipfile to stdout, edit comments and rename files in zipfile SYNOPSIS
zipnote [-w] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to read comments from or edit. OPTIONS
-w Write comments to a zipfile from stdin (see below). -b path Use path for the temporary zip file. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipnote writes the comments in a zipfile to stdout. This is the default mode. A second mode allows updating the comments in a zipfile as well as allows changing the names of the files in the zipfile. These modes are described below. EXAMPLES
To write all comments in a zipfile to stdout use for example zipnote foo.zip > foo.tmp This writes all comments in the zipfile foo.zip to the file foo.tmp in a specific format. If desired, this file can then be edited to change the comments and then used to update the zipfile. zipnote -w foo.zip < foo.tmp The names of the files in the zipfile can also be changed in this way. This is done by following lines like "@ name" in the created temporary file (called foo.tmp here) with lines like "@=newname" and then using the -w option as above. BUGS
The temporary file format is rather specific and zipnote is rather picky about it. It should be easier to change file names in a script. Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)