Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file..... Post 302743447 by spacebar on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 09:34:02 PM
Old 12-12-2012
You can used 'sed' to update the 'day' on the record, for example:
Code:
$ name="Henry Test"

$ day="FRI"

$ echo 'Henry Test 000-000-0000 Wed' | sed "s/^\($name [0-9]\{1,3\}-[0-9]\{1,3\}-[0-9]\{1,4\}\) .../\1 $day/"
Henry Test 000-000-0000 FRI

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to replace a line in a file using shell script

I have a property file in which the DB name is specified and when i run my servers they will point to the DB specified in that property file. Now i'm gonna write a script which will start all the services. But before that i just want to dynamically change the DB name in that property file by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_sakthi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i replace / with new line in shell script or sed ?

1. how can i replace ' / ' with new line in shell script or sed ? 2. how can set a conditon untill null in while loop while ( i== null ) do ...... done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace part of single string in a file

hi! i have a file consisting of the following lines: (BTW, = space) . . . 12ME_T1mapping_flip30bshortf 13DCE_whole_brainbshortf 13DCE_3Dbshortf . . . the list of scans starts at 1 and goes on sometimes up to 60 scans. i would like to change only the lines that contain 'whole' to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace space or spaces in a line of a file with a single :

I am searching while I await a response to this so if it has been asked already I apologize. I have a file with lines in it that look like: bob johnson email@email.org I need it to look like: bob:johnson:email@email.org I am trying to use sed like this: sed -e 's/ /:/g' file >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace a line using a identifier

Hi all im having trouble starting with a shell script, i hope someone here can help me i have 2 files file1: 404905.jpg 516167 404906.jpg 516168 404917.psd 516183 404947.pdf 516250 file2: 516250 /tmp/RecyclePoster18241.pdf 516167 /tmp/ReunionCardFINAL.jpg 516168... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenray
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to multiple find and replace in a single file

Dear all I need a script for multiple find and replace in a single file. For example input file is - qwe wer ert rty tyu asd sdf dgf dfg fgh qwe wer det rtyyui jhkj ert asd asd dfgd now qwe should be replace with aaaaaa asd should be replace with bbbbbbbb rty should be replace... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildhorse
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace part of text of a line

Gurus, You know, I believe you do:-), the comnand uname -r give you the kernel version: serverA:~# uname -r 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64So, I want to replace this output inside in the line below that is inside the file: kernel = '/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64'Suppose, you move this file to ther... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)