Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to Insert few lines which are stored in some file before a pattern in another file Post 302743337 by binlib on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 01:19:49 PM
Old 12-12-2012
Unfortunately sed's r command only appends. If your pattern doesn't appear on the first line (in which case you can just cat the insert file before the final file):
Code:
x=$(sed '/PIN (new)/!d;=;d;q' final-file)
# check if x has value and not 1
# ...
sed "$((x-1))r inser-file" final-file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into another file after matching pattern

i am not sure what i should be using but would like a simple command that is able to insert a certain block of text that i define or from another text file into a xml file after a certain match is done for e.g insert the text </servlet-mapping> <!-- beechac added - for epic post-->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cookie23patel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert rows of text into a file after pattern

SHELL=bash OS=rhel I have a file1 that contains text in sentences like so: file1 this is a sentence this is a sentence this is a sentence I also have a file2 like so: file2 command=" here is some text here is more text again we have some text " I wish to echo the text from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for a pattern from filenames stored in a file

Hi, I have got some 10 filenames stored in a file or displayed in the console as a result of some query i made.. Now I need to open each of these files and search for a pattern in these 10 files.. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, Jean (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeanjkj
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space or pattern between columns in a data file

I have a data file where three data sets are written in three columns. Can I increase the space between the columns without reading them? Also can I insert particular patterns, say comma between 1st and 2nd column and colon between 2nd and 3rd column? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing md5sum lines stored in text file

Hello. I'm writing a script where every file you create will generate a md5sum and store it into a text file. Say I create 2 files, it'll look like this in the text file: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/saystheman d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e /helloworld/test I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batarangs_
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search if file exists for a file pattern stored in array

Hi experts, I have two arrays one has the file paths to be searched in , and the other has the files to be serached.For eg searchfile.dat will have abc303 xyz123 i have to search for files that could be abc303*.dat or for that matter any extension . abc303*.dat.gz The following code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file into another file before given pattern

I need to insert file x2 into x1 right before first BBB line. $ cat x1 AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 BBB 1 BBB 2 BBB 3 $ cat x2 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 I need to get AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 BBB 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file right after pattern in another file

suppose i have original file: original.txt: hello how are you you are wonderful what time is it I went to the store last night. and some apple juice then i have another file: anotherfile.txt: with my friends mary, john and harry. We had a great time. We bought food Suppose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string with lines stored in a file

OS version: RHEL 6.7 Shell : Bash I have a file like below $ cat pattern.txt 'T_PKT_HEADER' 'T_ORD_ITM_LOYX' 'T_ORDERITM_TRMS' 'T_ORDER_ITEM' 'T_ORDER_ITM_PRI' 'T_ORDER_ITEM_OM' 'T_ORDER_ITEM_XA' 'T_ORDER_ATT' 'T_ORDER_ACTNSET' 'T_ORDER_XM' 'T_ORDER_X' 'T_ORDER_TNTX'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)