Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script Post 302742997 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 12th of December 2012 02:46:51 AM
Old 12-12-2012
what you mean by cant save to variable ?

UID is the variable which has the user id.

Code:

RESULT=$(awk -F: -v U="$UID" '$3==U {print "yes";exit}' /etc/passwd)

[ -z $RESULT ] && echo "Already Exists..Exiting..." && exit 1
#else your code goes here...

Last edited by itkamaraj; 12-12-2012 at 03:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

If file not exist create a new one

i want a script to check whether the file name exits or not if not it has to create a new one (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: din_annauniv
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit script if user input not four characters

#!/usr/bin/bash ###script to input four characters. wxyz echo "input first string" read instring1 echo "input second string" read instring2 ## echo "first string is:" $instring1 echo "second string is:" $instring2 ##IF instring1 or instring2 are NOT 4 characters (xxxx) , exit 1. ##how?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script if the user dosent enter any data within 5 seconds

Hello friends, Kindly help me in developing a script that asks user to enter a value and will wait for 5 seconds for the feedback. If there is no answer from the user the script will perform exit or it will continue doing something else Ex: If yu have a multi OS system i believe while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file and if it doesnt exist , exit script

Hi, Another problem, here is my code #!/bin/sh dir='/opt/apps/script/CSV' datadir='/opt/apps/script/data' while : ; do ls -1rt $dir/*.csv > /dev/null 2>&1 if ;then cp $datadir/weekly.txt $dir/weekly.csv else exit 0 fi done (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
10 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Can we create multiple users with same UID?

* Can we create multiple users with same UID? * Can we give root permissions to normal user like admin.s ? If YES give me full details (syntax of sudo/RBAC) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
14 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Exit user in bash script

I'm writing a bunch of scripts to automatically configure Ubuntu and I want to run the code below to remove the white dots from the login screen: sudo xhost +SI:localuser:lightdm sudo su lightdm -s /bin/bash gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter draw-grid false The problem is that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maerlyngb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit script and open program via other user

Hello all.. so i have a problem i need to solve .. #! /bin/bash $SHELL dtterm -title my_prog -e su -user -c 'export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; /path/to/my/prog' & 2> /dev/null $SHELL intr exit This script will work on solaris 10 system in right clikt menu - in a secure system so i need to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: defs
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me. The script should not exit until the user gives an input.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just a beginner in linux scripting. Just want to ask for help on this one. I am trying to create a script that will accept user input (year-month and user/s). I wanted to have the script to continue running, until the user inputs a DATE and name/s of user/s. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helskadi
2 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--password=password] [--exec=script] [--execfile=file] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -p password, --password=password The password to use when authenticating to server. Note that this parameter can be seen in the process list. Use with caution! -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. -f file, --execfile=file Instead of working interactively, run commands from file file and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.14.2 2014-06-03 SIEVESHELL(1)