Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk controlers?
Special Forums Hardware Disk controlers? Post 302742243 by cjashu on Monday 10th of December 2012 08:11:43 PM
Old 12-10-2012
Disk controlers?

Hi Guys,
I will be glad if someone can help explain this to me:

When you say that "two disk are connected on different controllers", what does it mean?

Thanks for your help.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

2. Linux

How to Calculate Disk Queue length and Disk Busy Time

Hi, Am doing an enhancements related to monitoring a Linux disk I/O statistics. The /proc/diskstats file is used to get the each disk I/O statistics. But, It returns the raw value. How to calculate the Disk Queue Length and Disk Busy time from the raw values. Guide me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maruthu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message displayed following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrya
1 Replies

5. AIX

DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED message following disk replacement

Hello, On 4/20/2018, we performed a disk replacement on our IBM 8202 P7 server. After the disk was rebuilt, the SAS Disk Array sissas0 showed a status of degraded. However, the pdisks in the array all show a status of active. We did see a message in errpt. DISK ARRAY PROTECTION SUSPENDED. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrya
3 Replies
ATA_SLAVE_LINK_INIT(9)						  libata Library					    ATA_SLAVE_LINK_INIT(9)

NAME
ata_slave_link_init - initialize slave link SYNOPSIS
int ata_slave_link_init(struct ata_port * ap); ARGUMENTS
ap port to initialize slave link for DESCRIPTION
Create and initialize slave link for ap. This enables slave link handling on the port. In libata, a port contains links and a link contains devices. There is single host link but if a PMP is attached to it, there can be multiple fan-out links. On SATA, there's usually a single device connected to a link but PATA and SATA controllers emulating TF based interface can have two - master and slave. However, there are a few controllers which don't fit into this abstraction too well - SATA controllers which emulate TF interface with both master and slave devices but also have separate SCR register sets for each device. These controllers need separate links for physical link handling (e.g. onlineness, link speed) but should be treated like a traditional M/S controller for everything else (e.g. command issue, softreset). slave_link is libata's way of handling this class of controllers without impacting core layer too much. For anything other than physical link handling, the default host link is used for both master and slave. For physical link handling, separate ap->slave_link is used. All dirty details are implemented inside libata core layer. From LLD's POV, the only difference is that prereset, hardreset and postreset are called once more for the slave link, so the reset sequence looks like the following. prereset(M) -> prereset(S) -> hardreset(M) -> hardreset(S) -> softreset(M) -> postreset(M) -> postreset(S) Note that softreset is called only for the master. Softreset resets both M/S by definition, so SRST on master should handle both (the standard method will work just fine). LOCKING
Should be called before host is registered. RETURNS
0 on success, -errno on failure. AUTHOR
Jeff Garzik Author. COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 3.10 June 2014 ATA_SLAVE_LINK_INIT(9)