Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to echo single quotes inside awk Post 302742163 by proactiveaditya on Monday 10th of December 2012 04:34:11 PM
Old 12-10-2012
Dont need to escape the "$"

This will do:
Code:
echo 'export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk '\''{print $1}'\'')' >> new_file

Thanks anyway Smilie

Last edited by Scott; 12-10-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo using single quotes

Hi, Please help me to echo the following statement using single quotes Why can't I write 's between single quotes Thanks in advance, Chella (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print ' (single quotes)

I'm building a file with sql delete statements. I need to print the single quotes for the where clause. i.e. delete from Command where CommandName = 'SomeName'; I have the following in my script input=$(pwd)/Cmnd.csv i=0 while read line do if test $i -ge 1; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quotes in awk statement

Hi, I have written a code to modify a string say, StringA=abc,def,ghi I need to change it to something like: StringB=This means abc='ABC', This mean def='DEF', This means ghi= 'GHI' StringB=$(echo $StringA | awk -F',' 'BEGIN { OFS="," } { for (i=1; i<=NF;i++) $i="This means... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with echo inserting single quotes

Consider the following script: #!/bin/bash exclude='Archive PST,SystemState' IFS=$"," rsyncExclusions=$(for exclude in ${exclude}; do echo -n -e --exclude=\"${exclude}\"\ ; done) unset IFS echo rsync $rsyncExclusions test rsync -avh --delete --delete-excluded "$rsyncExclusions"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to send single and double quotes to command

Hi Unix experts, Believe me, this forum has been really great help and I searched for many things that were already answered before open new post that were just new versions of old one, but with this one, I just can't simply move any forward. This must be quite easy, but I cant find where I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manolain
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - single quotes as field separator

How can I use single quotes as field separator in awk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for inserting a variable containing single and double quotes

Hi i have to insert the below line into a specific line number of another file export MBR_CNT_PRCP_TYPE_CODES_DEL="'01','02','04','05','49','55','UNK'" I have passed the above line to a variable say ins_line. I have used below command to perform the insert awk 'NR==3{print "'"${ins_line}"'"}1'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathishteradata
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - single quotes as record separator

How do I use single quotes as record separator in awk? I just couldn't figure that out. I know how to use single quotes as field separator, and double quotes as both field and record separator ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expansion of variable inside Single Quotes Fails!!

I am unable to expand the value of entry variable inside the nawk command. I tried three different nawk command as below but none of them substitute the value of entry variable. ls *.txt | while IFS='' read -r entry; do #nawk '/<name>/{A=1;++i} A{print >> ("cmd"i"_"$entry)}... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes insert statement using awk

Hi, Need help, using awk command to insert statement awk -v q="'" '{ print "db2 connect to repolab > /dev/null; " "\n" "db2 -x \" select name from IBMPDQ.PROFILE where managed_database = " q $1"_"$3"__0" q "\"" } ' profile.txt | sh - | awk -v i="'" ' { print "db2 connect to repolab >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mathew_paul
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)