Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename Post 302742019 by elixir_sinari on Monday 10th of December 2012 11:26:50 AM
Old 12-10-2012
One way:
Code:
cd /path/to/your/dir
for i in *
do
 if [[ -f $i ]]
 then
  str=$(awk 's=index($0,"ACCOUNT:"){print acct=substr($0,s+8,10);exit(0)}' "$i")
  [[ -n $str ]] && echo mv "$i" "$i.$str"
 fi
done

Remove the echo when everything seems alright.
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello, I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length. For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to remove nth characters from end of filename

Hi all, I have this basic script to remove, in this case 9 characters from the end of a file name. This is what I have so far, for file in *.mov do newname=`echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\)........./\1/' ` mv "$file" "$newname" done The problem is that it removes the file extension as well.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append characters to end of line

Coding in unix shell script. Hi All, Please help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam12345
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and append the text

I have a text like this ... i need append the text whihc is after 'csb' into the end of the line input ----- sdir;csp os_lib-0.5.24;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl sdir;csp oc_lib-0.10.4;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl output sdir;csp os_lib-0.5.24;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with shell script to append to the end of a specific line in a file on multiple servers

Hi Folks, I was given a task to append three IP's at the end of a specific (and unique) line within a file on multiple servers. I was not able to do that with the help of a script. All I could was: for i in server1 server2 server3 server4 do ssh $i done I know 'sed' could be used to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of every line

I've scoured the internet with mixed results. As an amateur I turn to the great minds here. I have a text file of 80 or so lines. I want to add ".pdf" to the end of each line. (For now that's it) Most of the internet points toward using "sed". I don't know coding but can figure things out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacebase
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to filename

Hi, i wrote the script like... v_date=`date "+%Y%m%d"`; v_date1="rejects_"$v_date'.txt'; echo $v_date1; awk -F\| 'NF==4{ print $0>$v_date1;next} NF!=4 {print $0 >"murali.txt";next}' test1.txt while append data into file as coming like file is $v_date1,but i want data into file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append this string to end of each line

Platform: Solaris 10 I have a file like below $ cat languages.txt Spanish Norwegian English Persian German Portugese Chinese Korean Hindi Malayalam Bengali Italian Greek Arabic I want to append the string " is a great language" at end of each line in this file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to cut string from a filename

Hi, I need a script which do below I have a filename: TEST2013_09_17_XX_XX_XX.csv Now script should create a new file with name: XX_XX_XX.csv Or I should say i need the output as XX_XX_XX.csv Please help. Mant thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
3 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)