Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Creating Windows 7 image to run in VirtualBox Post 302741585 by jimbob01 on Sunday 9th of December 2012 08:32:28 AM
Old 12-09-2012
Thanks for your reply, DukeNuke2.

I've read that before, and found it a good starting point. However, I am still a bit confused!

My hard drive is 500GB, and I only need say around 50GB for the image for Windows. But, if I use the 'dd' command, then am I right in thinking that this will copy the entire drive and not only the partition where Windows is installed ? Is it possible to only image the partition that contains Windows or am I better using a third party utility for this ?

Thanks for any help

Jim

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

help needed in creating an image from a 7za compressed file

Hi all, I have been working on a few files that have been 7za compressed.(which are a part of an OS) Now after extracting the file and doing manipulations i did a putback. But when i create an image and burn it onto the disk to check if my changes are working... I get error at boot time. Now... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Creating an image of a mirrored disks

Hi guys, I havent done this before but iam trying to create an image of a mirrorred drive. Correct me if iam wrong, but when i have two disks setup in raid configuration and have them mirrored in solaris. It then defines at one entity. How would i create a "flar" image of that one entity... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Creating VirtualBox-Image as "harddisk" by shell-script

Hello, I'm trying to create a VirtualBox "harddisk" and put an dd-image into it. This image shoudn't work as a virtual maschine, I just want to be able to mount it to an folder. How can I do this with an shell script? Sebi ---------- Post updated at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous update... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebi0815
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Creating soalris 9 ISO image with use of downloaded OS

Hi Folks, I have downloaded OS on one of my server and i want to create bootable solaris 9 ISO image with use of this...I need to use this image to other server.,Could you please let us know how we will create ISO image with below OS image.. # cd solaris_9 # ls -alrt total 128 drwxr-xr-x ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susindram
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Trouble creating RHEL 6.5 bootable image with custom kickstart file

Hi everyone, I have a custom kickstart file from a software vendor and I'm trying to package that with a RHEL 6.5 and then attach it to a VM and install RHEL with the settings in the kickstarter file. I'm doing this from a windows PC using an app called InfraRecorder. I've extracted the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 911Eric
0 Replies