Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Who -u gives different output if run from cron than if run from terminal? Post 302741485 by latimer on Sunday 9th of December 2012 02:41:11 AM
Old 12-09-2012
Jim, thanks for pointing me to the right direction.
Indeed locale is set differently for cron compared to my shell environment.
I altered my script so that it runs
Code:
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 who -u

instead of a plain who -u and now the output is well defined.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to run a process after closing the terminal

i want to execute a shell script even if the terminal is closed. how to do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
3 Replies

2. Linux

run script through terminal

for all friends i am using linux enterprise 4. i installed oracle 10g in user name oracle.at the end of install i got a pop up window saying that u should run the following scripts(root.sh,orainstRoot.sh) in terminal from root account(cui) without log out oracle account . how i can run these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiquep
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix. please help me. how my cron job entry should be? As of now my cron job entry is to run the script at specific time, 15 03 * * * /path/sample.sh | mail -s "Logs" email_id In the above entry, what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to run a command in a new terminal

Hey, I am trying to write a script that will open all of my session windows, and then secure shell into the appropriate server in the new windows. Seems simple, but I cant get it to work! Please help! :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sojo1024
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output when run via Cron

Hello, This may be a simple one, but i can't see what the issue is. When i run the script via CLI, then i get the correct output via the if statement, but when i run via CRON i get the wrong statement. echo " Checking Job Status" >> $DIR/Bpimagecleanup_$DATE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output differs when run manually and when cron job executes it

I get a different output when i manually run the .sh script and when it is run by a cron job. Please help me .. TMP1="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t1" TMP2="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t2" TMP3="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.t3" OUTPUT="/lhome/bbuser/script/wslog/sar.out"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithinankam
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script run by cron gives no output

Hi All, I have a script which checks the status of HP Smart Array & then emails me the output. The script run fine when executed manually but I receive no output when configured in a cron job. The script is below: hpacucli ctrl slot=3 show config | mail -s "ARRAY STATUS-`date`"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script in new terminal

Hi Guys, I have a script that runs certain simulations in batch mode. I need to schedule some simulations to run over night. For each simulation to complete it should be run in separate terminal. My script is as follows sh run_test.sh <arg1> <arg2> <arg3> ... I need to launch this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

When I run the code yesterday I am getting output,when I run same code today I am getting error?

If run the below code today its creating all directory and getting output files,I f run same code tomorrow I am getting error. can any one give suggestion to sortout this error. OSError: no such file or directory : '062518'My code looks like this import paramiko import sys import os ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: haribabu2229
8 Replies
apticron(1)						      General Commands Manual						       apticron(1)

NAME
apticron - Generate a mail listing packages which are pending an upgrade SYNOPSIS
apticron [--cron] DESCRIPTION
apticron is a shell script which generates a mail with a list of all packages currently pending an upgrade, as well as summary of changes - using apt-listchanges - to a configurable Email address. apticron is mainly intended for automatic notification of pending security updates but can also be used in many other situations where timely updates are necessary. The --cron option is only meant to be used when invoked by cron in order to run no more than once a day. FILES
/etc/apticron/apticron.conf Configuration file, Email address to mail and profile for use with apt-listchanges are configurable. /etc/cron.d/apticron Cron job for executing apticron daily. /etc/cron.daily/apticron Fallback cron script for executing apticron (if no crond running or system down at designated time). /var/lib/misc/apticron.cron Time stamp file used by apticron when invoked with --cron option. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8), apt-listchanges(1), cron(8) AUTHOR
Apticron was initially developed by Colm MacCarthaigh <colm.maccarthaigh@heanet.ie> with contributions from Marc Sherman <msherman@projec- tile.ca>. Since 2006 it is maintained and improved by Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org>. apticron(1)