Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals? Post 302741049 by Corona688 on Friday 7th of December 2012 10:49:34 AM
Old 12-07-2012
Don't install a signal handler then, and have the signal cause the coredump directly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

handling-create new SIGNALS

Hi, i cannot find in which file and function the signals are handled by default.Can anyone help me? How can i create a 33th signal? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panos
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Smart Crash Handling

Hi, Is there anything you can do to a *nix (SuSE Linux actually) which allows it to *try* to do a reboot if something crashes the system? I know they have something at work (but I don't work with the servers myself) which makes the server reboot if it crashes/locks (works about 80% of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shel program file handling

Hi, Iam having the file as follows: QWASEDRF1234567890098765 abc@quebex.com 000000000-932333 678394-56=3 9033894 QWASEDRF1234567890098765 abc@quebex.com 000000000-932333 678394-56=3 9033894 OPIUYTREE0986666544443322 dcsx@olivaa.net ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
14 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

/dev/core "link to program crash data"

Hi there, I found a link to a file /dev/core of 17 GB Is it ok??? I couldn't find many information about it. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, Giordano Bruno PS: I'm working with FEDORA 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

5. Programming

detached thread is causing program crash

Hi All, I have scenario where my callback function data_update() can be called anytime. I have written the function data_update() such that it will create detached thread for processing the data sent to this function. data_update() { pthread_attr_t attr_thread; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wonderman
1 Replies

6. Programming

Memory Fault (core dumped) in ttpy program

I´m writing this program in QNX , I`m kinda new to UNIX and programing in general, and when I try to run it it gives me the Memory Fault error. Can anyone help? #include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> void main(void) {int a,ter; char buf; printf("a="); scanf("%d",a); ter=open... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GiganteAsesino
6 Replies

7. Programming

Please help:program hang stuck there signal handling on POSIX Message Queue UNIX C programming

in a single main() function,so need signal handling. Use Posix Message Queue IPC mechanism , can ignore the priority and other linked list message,to implement the scenario: client:Knock Knock server:who's there client: Eric Server:Eric,Welcome. client:exit all process terminated ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ouou
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling signals without race conditions

Greetings, I am writing a small program in C on UNIX, in which I am using (POSIX reliable) signals. 1. Suppose I have a signal : SIGX, and the corresponding signal handler : sigx_handler. It is possible to receive SIGX in my process, and, while executing sigx_handler, to receive again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aigoia
0 Replies

9. AIX

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies
GCORE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  GCORE(1)

NAME
gcore -- get core images of running process SYNOPSIS
gcore [-f] [-s] [-c core] [executable] pid DESCRIPTION
The gcore utility creates a core image of the specified process, suitable for use with gdb(1). By default, the core is written to the file ``core.<pid>''. The process identifier, pid, must be given on the command line. The following options are available: -c Write the core file to the specified file instead of ``core.<pid>''. -f Dumps all available segments, excluding only malformed and undumpable segments. Unlike the default invocation, this flag dumps map- pings of devices which may invalidate the state of device transactions or trigger other unexpected behavior. As a result, this flag should only be used when the behavior of the application and any devices it has mapped is fully understood and any side effects can be controlled or tolerated. -s Stop the process while gathering the core image, and resume it when done. This guarantees that the resulting core dump will be in a consistent state. The process is resumed even if it was already stopped. The same effect can be achieved manually with kill(1). FILES
core.<pid> the core image HISTORY
A gcore utility appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Because of the ptrace(2) usage gcore may not work with processes which are actively being investigated with truss(1) or gdb(1). Addition- ally, interruptable sleeps may exit with EINTR. The gcore utility is not compatible with the original 4.2BSD version. BSD
July 14, 2010 BSD