Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Working with files that are named with a timestamp Post 302740663 by joeyg on Thursday 6th of December 2012 02:30:27 PM
Old 12-06-2012
Further explanation

Quote:
An interesting hack to do it, but wouldn't I need to adjust the cron run time as well? set it for 59 instead?
No.
If the cron starts running at x:58
it will get the full data/time string at that moment
then wait three minutes (could be two, bu one more just to be sure)
then does everything else

Plus, if you start at x:59 perhaps (maybe?) the time will be x:00 by the time that command is returned. Why take a chance on it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing files named by date/time

I've looked at several of the previous posts and can't seem to find any that pertain to my problem, I'd appreciate some help if possible. I have a directory with numerous logs of various names all named by heading and date ie. dog.20050529.log dog.20050530.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillr
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fifo or named pipe working?

Can someone explain to me the working of fifo() system call using simple C programs so that I can implement them in the UNIX environement? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lvkchaitanya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing files that are named sequentially with Perl?

Hello I am new to Perl, in fact I am on chapter one of the book. :) However I am in need of a Perl Script faster than I can finish the book. Perhaps someone can help me with my immediate need while I read my book. I have a directory with hundreds of files that are all named like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newftronics
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files not in a directory into a subdirectory named for each given file

Hi Everyone! Looking for some help with a script that will take all files in any given root folder (which are not already in a folder) and put them into separate folders with the name of each given file. Any ideas? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DanTheMan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Similarly Named Files

Have a few hundred files that I have no control over. I need to join them on a common string. There are two files per unit. The file names are: AAAA_X_file1.txt AAAA_file2.txt join -a1 file1 file2 - this works. My question is, is there a way to use the join command listing the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk manipulation of sequentially named files

Hello, I am a very novice user of awk, I have a set of files named file001, file002, file003, file004, etc., each contains four fields (columns of data) separated each by a uneven number of spaces. I want to substitute those spaces by a TAB, so I am using this line of awk script: awk -v OFS="\t"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to zip or rm the multi part named files?

Hello There, There are more than 1000 files in my log folder and i want to zip it to relase the space. But my method throwing syntax error due to the multi part file name, how to overcome in this ? ls -lart | grep "MDB_Kernel11.1_gwlog_SUN 22_09_2013" | awk '{print $9,$10,$11,$12}' | head... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies
queuedefs(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)