Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Working with files that are named with a timestamp Post 302740651 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 6th of December 2012 01:52:56 PM
Old 12-06-2012
try assuming OSX:

Code:
date -v-[something you want] +'%y%m%d%H'

where [something you want] is a past time
-1H == one hour ago
-5M == 5 minutes ago.

So try -15M and run it at :05 after the hour.

A comment to make your life easier -- :

Those filename "timestamps" could easily be stale. ie., I started my process at 12:59.
It has 12 as the hour, because it was opened at 12:59, when open created the file.

But. It is now 13:02. My report process is still running! So, when you sftp, you are not going to get my whole file. It has not closed yet. To be safe you really should look at the mtime of the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing files named by date/time

I've looked at several of the previous posts and can't seem to find any that pertain to my problem, I'd appreciate some help if possible. I have a directory with numerous logs of various names all named by heading and date ie. dog.20050529.log dog.20050530.log ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillr
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fifo or named pipe working?

Can someone explain to me the working of fifo() system call using simple C programs so that I can implement them in the UNIX environement? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lvkchaitanya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding missing files that are named sequentially with Perl?

Hello I am new to Perl, in fact I am on chapter one of the book. :) However I am in need of a Perl Script faster than I can finish the book. Perhaps someone can help me with my immediate need while I read my book. I have a directory with hundreds of files that are all named like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newftronics
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the files based on timestamp and execute sorted files in order

Hi I have a requirement like below I need to sort the files based on the timestamp in the file name and run them in sorted order and then archive all the files which are one day old to temp directory My files looks like this PGABOLTXML1D_201108121235.xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saidutta123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files not in a directory into a subdirectory named for each given file

Hi Everyone! Looking for some help with a script that will take all files in any given root folder (which are not already in a folder) and put them into separate folders with the name of each given file. Any ideas? Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DanTheMan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Similarly Named Files

Have a few hundred files that I have no control over. I need to join them on a common string. There are two files per unit. The file names are: AAAA_X_file1.txt AAAA_file2.txt join -a1 file1 file2 - this works. My question is, is there a way to use the join command listing the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk manipulation of sequentially named files

Hello, I am a very novice user of awk, I have a set of files named file001, file002, file003, file004, etc., each contains four fields (columns of data) separated each by a uneven number of spaces. I want to substitute those spaces by a TAB, so I am using this line of awk script: awk -v OFS="\t"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to zip or rm the multi part named files?

Hello There, There are more than 1000 files in my log folder and i want to zip it to relase the space. But my method throwing syntax error due to the multi part file name, how to overcome in this ? ls -lart | grep "MDB_Kernel11.1_gwlog_SUN 22_09_2013" | awk '{print $9,$10,$11,$12}' | head... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
8 Replies
AUREPORT:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					      AUREPORT:(8)

NAME
aureport - a tool that produces summary reports of audit daemon logs SYNOPSIS
aureport [options] DESCRIPTION
aureport is a tool that produces summary reports of the audit system logs. The aureport utility can also take input from stdin as long as the input is the raw log data. The reports have a column label at the top to help with interpretation of the various fields. Except for the main summary report, all reports have the audit event number. You can subsequently lookup the full event with ausearch -a event number. You may need to specify start & stop times if you get multiple hits. The reports produced by aureport can be used as building blocks for more complicated analysis. OPTIONS
-au, --auth Report about authentication attempts -a, --avc Report about avc messages -c, --config Report about config changes -cr, --crypto Report about crypto events -e, --event Report about events -f, --file Report about files --failed Only select failed events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. -h, --host Report about hosts --help Print brief command summary -i, --interpret Interpret numeric entities into text. For example, uid is converted to account name. The conversion is done using the current resources of the machine where the search is being run. If you have renamed the accounts, or don't have the same accounts on your machine, you could get misleading results. -if, --input file Use the given file instead of the logs. This is to aid analysis where the logs have been moved to another machine or only part of a log was saved. --input-logs Use the log file location from auditd.conf as input for analysis. This is needed if you are using aureport from a cron job. -k, --key Report about audit rule keys -l, --login Report about logins -m, --mods Report about account modifications -ma, --mac Report about Mandatory Access Control (MAC) events -n, --anomaly Report about anomaly events. These events include NIC going into promiscuous mode and programs segfaulting. --node node-name Only select events originating from node name string for processing in the reports. The default is to include all nodes. Multiple nodes are allowed. -p, --pid Report about processes -r, --response Report about responses to anomaly events -s, --syscall Report about syscalls --success Only select successful events for processing in the reports. The default is both success and failed events. --summary Run the summary report that gives a total of the elements of the main report. Not all reports have a summary. -t, --log This option will output a report of the start and end times for each log. --tty Report about tty keystrokes -te, --end [end-date] [end-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or before the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, now is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influenced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, week-ago, this-month, this-year. Today means starting now. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -tm, --terminal Report about terminals -ts, --start [start-date] [start-time] Search for events with time stamps equal to or after the given end time. The format of end time depends on your locale. If the date is omitted, today is assumed. If the time is omitted, midnight is assumed. Use 24 hour clock time rather than AM or PM to specify time. An example date using the en_US.utf8 locale is 09/03/2009. An example of time is 18:00:00. The date format accepted is influ- enced by the LC_TIME environmental variable. You may also use the word: now, recent, today, yesterday, this-week, this-month, this-year. Today means starting at 1 second after midnight. Recent is 10 minutes ago. Yesterday is 1 second after midnight the previous day. This-week means starting 1 second after midnight on day 0 of the week determined by your locale (see localtime). This-month means 1 second after midnight on day 1 of the month. This-year means the 1 second after midnight on the first day of the first month. -u, --user Report about users -v, --version Print the version and exit -x, --executable Report about executables SEE ALSO
ausearch(8), auditd(8). Red Hat Sept 2009 AUREPORT:(8)