Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Issue with installtion of Red Hat in Laptop Post 302740589 by Corona688 on Thursday 6th of December 2012 11:16:22 AM
Old 12-06-2012
That Ubuntu boots suggests strongly that it's not PAE, because you don't have PAE yet it still boots.

You can check the features of your processor with cat /proc/cpuinfo

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 7.2 GUI not loading & Connection issue

Please Help Let me start off by saying that I am a total idiot when it comes to unix. Please, if you would care to reply keep this in mind. Thank you. I have been attempting to get my unix machine online to no avail. I have the rest of the house networked with 3 other windows machines into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 7.2.....

I just installed red hat 7.2 on my laptop. it's dual booted with xp and red hat. when i boot in to linux it boots up to the screen to ask me my name and pass....i put in root and my password. after this it goes to a blue screen and sits there. the after about 2 minutes it comes up with a fatal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muzscman
1 Replies

3. Linux

Red Hat?

I have a Red Hat upgrade disk. I installed it and it corrupted my entire hard drive! I had gotten the disks out of a Dummy's book at my local library. Trying to install 'Red Hat', has cost me $100.00 in damages. (The cool part is my friend gave me that $100.00 part) Ah...A 120gig Hard Drive. Just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 9 help

please help me how to install softwares in linux.i have a ethernet internet connection.i try to open the site on LAN to download internet client.but i cannot as our lan supports only internet explorer....i downloaded the linux client by booting thru XP......but i cannot c my NTFS partition thru... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shobhit143
0 Replies

5. Linux

red hat ee 2.6.9-42

hello. I would be greatfull if someone could tell me how will i see what dns server and gateway my red hat server uses. I tryied to find out by typing ifconfig command but i got : -bash: ifconfig: command not found , although man ifonconfig gives output with info about using that command. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Red Hat E 3

I'm am working with a Red Hat Enterprise 3 server. This is a dedicated server that is supposedly dedicated to one domain, but I have been tasked with trying to figure out if there are files on this system that are being accessed by other IP's. Does anyone know if how I would go about finding... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisPlusPlus
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Red-hat

Hello, How do I see what IP addresses are connected to my machine? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonomao
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ?

how to know if i use "Red Hat Enterprise Linux" or "Red Hat Desktop" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat 5.10 repository issue - desktop version

this is proving to be a real pain to set up. i recently installed red hat 5.10 desktop version. install went well. i've registered my system, but i cant seem to yum install simple packages. i can install some packages, but many others i cant. for instance, i cant do a: yum install php ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
PAE(4)							 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						    PAE(4)

NAME
PAE -- Physical Address Extensions SYNOPSIS
options PAE DESCRIPTION
The PAE option provides support for the physical address extensions capability of the Intel Pentium Pro and above CPUs, and allows for up to 64 gigabytes of memory to be used in systems capable of supporting it. With the PAE option, memory above 4 gigabytes is simply added to the general page pool. The system makes no distinction between memory above or below 4 gigabytes, and no specific facility is provided for a process or the kernel to access more memory than they would otherwise be able to access, through a sliding window or otherwise. SEE ALSO
smp(4), tuning(7), config(8), bus_dma(9) HISTORY
The PAE option first appeared in FreeBSD 4.9 and FreeBSD 5.1. AUTHORS
Jake Burkholder <jake@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
Since KLD modules are not compiled with the same options headers that the kernel is compiled with, they must not be loaded into a kernel com- piled with the PAE option. Many devices or their device drivers are not capable of direct memory access to physical addresses above 4 gigabytes. In order to make use of direct memory access IO in a system with more than 4 gigabytes of memory when the PAE option is used, these drivers must use a facility for remapping or substituting physical memory which is not accessible to the device. One such facility is provided by the busdma interface. Device drivers which do not account for such devices will not work reliably in a system with more than 4 gigabytes of memory when the PAE option is used, and may cause data corruption. The PAE kernel configuration file includes the PAE option, and explicitly excludes all device drivers which are known to not work or have not been tested in a system with the PAE option and more than 4 gigabytes of memory. Many parameters which determine how memory is used in the kernel are based on the amount of physical memory. The formulas used to determine the values of these parameters for specific memory configurations may not take into account the fact there may be more than 4 gigabytes of memory, and may not scale well to these memory configurations. In particular, it may be necessary to increase the amount of virtual address space available to the kernel, or to reduce the amount of a specific resource that is heavily used, in order to avoid running out of virtual address space. The KVA_PAGES option may be used to increase the kernel virtual address space, and the kern.maxvnodes sysctl(8) may be used to decrease the number of vnodes allowed, an example of a resource that the kernel is likely to overallocate in large memory configurations. For optimal performance and stability it may be necessary to consult the tuning(7) manual page, and make adjustments to the parameters docu- mented there. BSD
April 8, 2003 BSD