Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing a variable in a loop Post 302740575 by michaelrozar17 on Thursday 6th of December 2012 11:07:47 AM
Old 12-06-2012
Replace with the below sed in the loop and try..
Code:
sed 's/k/'$i'/g' inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to michaelrozar17 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern in variable

My String variable is holding value as - abc"def I want to replce " with \" I tried with awk : echo $var | awk '{gsub(/"/,"\"");print}' and I am getting an error, `)' is not expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing $ in variable

hi I have a variable like k=$DESTDIR/$PKG/$VERSION I want to replace each $ in string k with say "XXX". so that k becomes like this "XXXDESTDIR/XXXPKG/XXXVERSION" when I use echo $k | sed -e "s/\$/XXX" it actually passes expanded of variables $DESTDIR, $PKG and $VERSION to sed. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing text with the value of a variable

Input file - tmp <begin> ./00003/ ./00004/ <end> I would like to replace "." with the value of pwd so that the output will look like /dev/project/00003/ t=`pwd` sed -e "s/\./$t/g" tmp > tmp1; The above piece of code is not working. Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotto_123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a pattern using variable?

ip1="xxx" ip2="bbb" sed 's/$ip1/$ip2/g' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing in a variable

Hi, If I have a variable var1 ='TH 12/1234' How can I set this too in a script var1 ='TH 12~1234' Bearing in mind "/" might be in a difference place each time and that the "/" might not even exist each time the variable is set. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing line with variable

All I want to do is replace the 2nd line in a file with a variable, eg, var=xxx the file 'test' containing: aaa bbb ccc replace bbb with xxx aaa xxx ccc I had it working with sed on a redhat machine, but it doesn't work on a mac machine. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideways
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing ' ' and :'s with _'s in a variable

Hi guys In my shell script I have a variable that contains a string that contains the current time. I want to replace the spaces and colons in the value with underscores. TIME=`date` echo $TIME gives me: Thu Sep 24 16:40:53 BST 2009 I want it to show:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)