Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opendir
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Opendir Post 302740467 by console on Thursday 6th of December 2012 08:16:52 AM
Old 12-06-2012
Opendir

code:
#include<iostream>
#include <dirent.h>
using namespace std;
int main()
{

DIR*dir;
dir = opendir("/");
if (dir !=NULL)
{
struct dirent * abcd;
while ((abcd=readdir (dir))!=NULL)
{
cout << abcd -> d_name;
}
}}
output : this gives the output of Directory "/"

ques :
what if i wanted to let user make an input of Directory name of there choice and if the directory name is not there program should show the contents of current directory and it should not show the hidden files in the directory.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

opendir() + customly created directories

Gday all In a program I am designing, I am using opendir() to test whether entries under a certain directory are sub-directories or not. This method works fine for the directory itself (.) and the parent directory (..), however it does not work for any sub-directories I manually create. i.e.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP 5 solaris opendir failure

Hello! I've moved a web from my RHEL5 Apache/2.2.3 machine to a Sun Solaris 5.9 Apache/2.2.6 (Unix) PHP/5.2.5 mod_ssl/2.2.6 machine. The web worked just fine on the rhel5 machine and most of the php pages works fine on the solaris machine to but not the one where I read a directory and prints... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Esaia
1 Replies

3. Programming

Opendir

code: #include<iostream> #include <dirent.h> using namespace std; int main() { DIR*dir; dir = opendir("/"); if (dir !=NULL) { struct dirent * abcd; while ((abcd=readdir (dir))!=NULL) { cout << abcd -> d_name; } }} output : this gives the output of Directory "/" ques : (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: console
1 Replies
DIRECTORY(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      DIRECTORY(3)

NAME
directory, opendir, readdir, rewinddir, closedir, telldir, seekdir - directory routines SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> DIR *opendir(const char *dirname) struct dirent *readdir(DIR *dirp) void rewinddir(DIR *dirp) int closedir(DIR *dirp) #define _MINIX 1 #include <sys/types.h> #include <dirent.h> long telldir(DIR *dirp) int seekdir(DIR *dirp, long pos) DESCRIPTION
These routines form a system independent interface to access directories. Opendir() opens the directory dirname and returns a pointer to this open directory stream. Readdir() reads one entry from the directory as a pointer to a structure containing the field d_name, a character array containing the null-terminated name of the entry. Rewinddir() allows the directory to be read again from the beginning. Closedir() closes the directory and releases administrative data. The Minix specific functions telldir() and seekdir() allow one to get the current position in the directory file and to return there later. Seekdir() may only be called with a position returned by telldir() or 0 (rewind). These functions should not be used in portable programs. SEE ALSO
dir(5). DIAGNOSTICS
Opendir() returns a null pointer if dirname can't be opened, or if it can't allocate enough memory for the DIR structure. Readdir() returns null if there are no more directory entries or on error. Closedir() and seekdir() returns 0 on success, -1 on error. Telldir() returns -1 on error. All of them set errno appropriately. Readdir() will only set errno on error, not on end-of-dir, so you should set errno to zero before- hand, and check its value if readdir() returns null. NOTES
The return value of readdir() needs to be copied before the next operation on the same directory if it is to be saved. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) DIRECTORY(3)