Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ? Post 302740451 by DerekAsirvadem on Thursday 6th of December 2012 07:53:56 AM
Old 12-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
You need to place the variable outside the double quotes
That was so simple ! Thanks.

But I do not see how that is "outside the double quotes". For the benefit of the understanding of others, that is "concatenate the string before submitting it to system()". And my concern about informing the shell re awk vars, is a non-issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell variable in awk

Hi All, How can i use the file for printing in awk file1 ---------- update table crn_ras_disc_dtl a set a.a5=$1,a.a1=$2,a.a2=$3,a.a3=$4,a.a4=$5; file2 -------- 10|KUMAR|23|MALE|US 20|RAJ|24|MALE|AU Output --------- update table crn_ras_disc_dtl a set... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable with awk

line_no=6 echo 'Phone,' `awk 'NR==$line_no{print;exit}' <filename>` what is the error in this.. it says.. awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line number is 1. The file is <filename>. The source line number is 1. i want to print the data in the $line_no line of a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: St.Fartatric
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell function, system, awk

Hi all, I am calling a shell function within awk using system. I am struggling to get my expected output: #!/bin/sh set -o nounset BEG=44 END=55 shfun() { echo "1|2|3" } export -f shfun typeset -F > /dev/null awk 'BEGIN {OFS="|"; print "'"$BEG"'",system( "shfun"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable in awk

I have 3 files and each contain m*n matrix. m = number of rows (horizontal lines) n = number of columns (entries in a particular line) What I wish to find is the sum of the 2nd number in the last row. Ex file1.dat 2 5 8 8 4 6 7 8 3 8 3 7 file2.dat 3 4 1 4 8 4 0 3 4 7 3 7 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamics
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use shell variable in awk?

How do you use a shell variable in awk? I am using Solaris 10 and don't have GNU products installed. File (transportation.txt) contents: car boat airplane snowmobile bicycle sled This awk statment works (prints from the car line down to bicycle awk '/car/,/bicycle/'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
dp(8mh) 																   dp(8mh)

Name
       dp - parse dates RFC 822-style

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/dp [ -form file ] [ -format string ] [ -help ] [ -width columns ] dates

Description
       The command parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard.  It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by
       TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret a date.

The program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official RFC 822 format.  Hence, it is  usually  best	to
       enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell.

Options
       -form file
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file.  This must be
		 a format file; see

-format string
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string.	This  must
		 be a format string; see

The  argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes Therefore, you should usually
		 place the argument to this option inside double quotes (").

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-width columns
		 Specifies the width of the screen in columns.

The defaults for this command are as follows:

-width defaults to the width of the terminal

Examples
       This is the default format string used by
       %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>

When an error is detected, this prints error: and the date that is in error.  Otherwise, it outputs the proper RFC 822 format of the date.

Files
       User profile.

See Also
       ap(8mh)
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

dp(8mh)