Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I.p address of machine
Top Forums Programming I.p address of machine Post 302740053 by console on Wednesday 5th of December 2012 11:55:42 AM
Old 12-05-2012
I.p address of machine

i m writing a program which finds the i.p address of the machine.
but it just prints out the first three character of the ifconfig output
but i want to just print my i.p address lik 10.0.0.222 which is in second line after inet addr:
code :
Code:
#include<iostream>
#include<cstdlib>
using nammespace std;
int main ()
{
FILE * fp 
fp =popen ("ifconfig eth0","r")
char mystring [100];
if (fb==NULL)perror("error");
else {
if (fgets(mystring , 100, fp)) !=NULL)
puts (mystring);
pclose (fp)
}
return 0;
}

Last edited by Neo; 12-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Machine IP address

Hopefully someone can help with this. I need the command to change the IP address on a machine (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkinnon
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting access to a machine by IP Address

I have a need to allow only certain IP addresses to access a machine running solaris 9. I am not sure how this can be accomplished. Thanks in advance for your help. Patch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patch
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to get IP Address of machine?

Is there any API call to get IP Address of a machine? I know there is function which returns name of the machine, gethostname(). But I need the IP. Thanks & Regards, Ahsan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahsan
7 Replies

4. IP Networking

how to retrieve IP address of a machine

hi is there is any command that retrieves the IP address of a machine. Also is there any function in c that does the same. thankx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Windows machine's IP address from Unix?

I am using windows Xp. From windows I would connect to my IBM AIX unix machine using telnet client. Is there any command available to view the IP address of Windows machine from Unix? (Note that ifconfig will give unix mahcine's IP address currently logged in.) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IP address of machine

Hi i want to know the Ip address of the machine from where i logged into the unix server and made some changes to a file. Can I know the last changes made to a unix file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harneet2004us
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP address of Unix machine

Can any one please tell me how to find the IP address of the Unix machine we are in? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoothukudiking
9 Replies

8. Solaris

How to get the IP address / Host name of client machine

Hi How to get the IP address / Host name of a particular user connected to Unix Server. For example: If used 'DevUser1' is connected to Unix server. I need to find out from which PC this connection has been made. How can this be achieved? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVL
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Static IP address for solaris 10 virtual machine

Hi All I am having a solaris 10 virtual machine on vista (using vmware 7) laptop. Now i want to access virtual machine from vista using putty. Problem is that i insalled the solaris machine as dhcp. and whenever i connect to internet or reboot my system the IP address of solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankurk
1 Replies

10. Solaris

i want to set ip address to a virtual machine

hi all i want to set ip address to a vitrual machine i am using following command. but it is not ifconfig -a command output. what is wrong i dont know bash# ifconfig interfacename plumb bash# ifconfig interfacename auto-dhcp Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
4 Replies
popen(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						 popen(3C)

NAME
popen, pclose - initiate a pipe to or from a process SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *popen(const char *command, const char *mode); int pclose(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The popen() function creates a pipe between the calling program and the command to be executed. The arguments to popen() are pointers to null-terminated strings. The command argument consists of a shell command line. The mode argument is an I/O mode, either r for reading or w for writing. The value returned is a stream pointer such that one can write to the standard input of the command, if the I/O mode is w, by writing to the file stream (see Intro(3)); and one can read from the standard output of the command, if the I/O mode is r, by reading from the file stream. Because open files are shared, a type r command may be used as an input filter and a type w as an output filter. A trailing F character can also be included in the mode argument as described in fopen(3C) to enable extended FILE facility. The environment of the executed command will be as if a child process were created within the popen() call using fork(2). If the applica- tion is standard-conforming (see standards(5)), the child is created as if invoked with the call: execl("/usr/xpg4/bin/sh", "sh", "-c",command, (char *)0); otherwise, the child is created as if invoked with the call: execl("/usr/bin/sh", "sh", "-c",command, (char *)0); The pclose() function closes a stream opened by popen() by closing the pipe. It waits for the associated process to terminate and returns the termination status of the process running the command language interpreter. This is the value returned by waitpid(3C). See wait.h(3HEAD) for more information on termination status. If, however, a call to waitpid() with a pid argument equal to the process ID of the command line interpreter causes the termination status to be unavailable to pclose(), then pclose() returns -1 with errno set to ECHILD to report this condition. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, popen() returns a pointer to an open stream that can be used to read or write to the pipe. Otherwise, it returns a null pointer and may set errno to indicate the error. Upon successful completion, pclose() returns the termination status of the command language interpreter as returned by waitpid(). Other- wise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The pclose() function will fail if: ECHILD The status of the child process could not be obtained, as described in the DESCRIPTION. The popen() function may fail if: EMFILE There are currently FOPEN_MAX or STREAM_MAX streams open in the calling process. EINVAL The mode argument is invalid. The popen() function may also set errno values as described by fork(2) or pipe(2). USAGE
If the original and popen() processes concurrently read or write a common file, neither should use buffered I/O. Problems with an output filter may be forestalled by careful buffer flushing, for example, with fflush() (see fclose(3C)). A security hole exists through the IFS and PATH environment variables. Full pathnames should be used (or PATH reset) and IFS should be set to space and tab (" "). Even if the process has established a signal handler for SIGCHLD, it will be called when the command terminates. Even if another thread in the same process issues a wait(3C) call, it will interfere with the return value of pclose(). Even if the process's signal handler for SIGCHLD has been set to ignore the signal, there will be no effect on pclose(). EXAMPLES
Example 1 popen() example The following program will print on the standard output (see stdio(3C)) the names of files in the current directory with a .c suffix. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> main() { char *cmd = "/usr/bin/ls *.c"; char buf[BUFSIZ]; FILE *ptr; if ((ptr = popen(cmd, "r")) != NULL) { while (fgets(buf, BUFSIZ, ptr) != NULL) (void) printf("%s", buf); (void) pclose(ptr); } return 0; } Example 2 system() replacement The following function can be used in a multithreaded process in place of the most common usage of the Unsafe system(3C) function: int my_system(const char *cmd) { FILE *p; if ((p = popen(cmd, "w")) == NULL) return (-1); return (pclose(p)); } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The F character in the mode argument of popen() is Evolving. In all other respects this function is Standard. The pclose() function is Standard. SEE ALSO
ksh(1), pipe(2), fclose(3C), fopen(3C), posix_spawn(3C), stdio(3C), system(3C), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), wait.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), stan- dards(5) SunOS 5.11 14 Dec 2006 popen(3C)