Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to couple 2 script in 1?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to couple 2 script in 1? Post 302739609 by phunk on Tuesday 4th of December 2012 01:40:16 PM
Old 12-04-2012
I'd really recommend doing this in cron rather than an infinite while loop....especially if you literally want it to be every three minutes.

This is the kind of thing cron is made for.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

A couple of grub questions.

1) After I install a new kernel in Debian Sarge, it updates my menu.lst file for grub, but incorrectly. It assumes it should boot from partition hd0,0, but this is incorrect. How do I change this faulty assumption? 2) If grub fails to find a kernel, grub allows me to enter a path to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akbar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need couple of ksh tricks please

1) I ran myScript with 2 arguments, I meant to use 3 if I do r my, it will rerun it with the 2 arguments. is there a way I can do r my and add a third argument at the end? 2) say I did myAcript.ksh 2 5 7 8 I realise my typo. is there an easy way to redo the command replacing A with S? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Couple of questions.

Right now I am a Microfocus COBOL programmer, working on a HP-UX system. I want to now get Certified as a HP Certified Systems Administrator. I ordered a book from amazon and will start with it. I also will be working at my job with someone who applies the patches and things as we do NOT have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie21
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Couple logadm questions

My logadm.conf is below. Is there a way to match a log file that appends the time/date stamp after the log file? Also, a 0 is being appended onto the files I'm compressing and having rotated. Is there a way to fix that? /var/apache/tomcat55/logs/catalina.out -C 30 -P 'Fri Jun 18 16:48:55... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A couple issues

Hello, I have a couple questions. First of all, I'm trying to use the wc command on the /etc/passwd file to find out the total amount of users but I am unsuccesful. I figured since users each have their own line in the passwd file that i could have it count the number of lines and then return the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Simonpalmieri
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
auth/cron [-c] DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to instructions in the files /cron/user/cron. It runs only on an authentica- tion server. Option -c causes cron to create /cron/user and /cron/user/cron for the current user; it can be run from any Plan 9 machine. Blank lines and lines beginning with # in these files are ignored. Entries are lines with fields minute hour day month weekday host command Command is a string, which may contain spaces, that is passed to an rc(1) running on host for execution. The first five fields are integer patterns for minute 0-59 hour 0-23 day of month 1-31 month of year 1-12 day of week 0-6; 0=Sunday The syntax for these patterns is time : '*' | range range : number | number '-' number | range ',' range Each number must be in the appropriate range. Hyphens specify inclusive ranges of valid times; commas specify lists of valid time ranges. To run the job, cron calls host and authenticates remote execution, equivalent to running rx host command (see con(1)). The user's profile is run with $service set to rx. Cron is not a reliable service. It skips commands if it cannot reach host within two minutes, or if the cron daemon is not running at the appropriate time. EXAMPLES
Here is the job that mails system news. % cat /cron/upas/cron # send system news 15 8-17, 21 *** helix /mail/lib/mailnews % SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/auth/cron.c SEE ALSO
con(1), rc(1) CRON(8)