Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris OpenBSM not catching all file writes Post 302739089 by thmnetwork on Monday 3rd of December 2012 01:04:49 PM
Old 12-03-2012
OpenBSM not catching all file writes

I have a custom auditing class configured for these events but it doesn't seem to be catching it when I do a "echo hey > test.txt" Any ideas on why that is?

---------- Post updated at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:47 PM ----------

Scratch this topic, it looks like it's because bash is doing an open64() which for some reason BSM on the Solaris 9 machine isn't catching.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script that reads/writes based upon contents of a file

Hi everyone, Ive got a quick question about the feasibility and any suggestions for a shell script. I can use sh or ksh, doesnt matter. Basically, Ive got an output file from a db2 command that looks like so: SCHEMA NAME CARD LEAF ELEAF LVLS ISIZE NDEL KEYS F4 F5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

catching some errors

I need to find a way to keep a running tally of how many times events or actions occur. Say if a user is prompted to make inputs of 1 or 2, I want it to keep track of how many times 1 was entered, and how many times 2 was entered. Thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which process writes to file

Some process rewrites a file ( i'm hacked :) Can I somehow monitor which process does that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hachik
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: FH and multiple writes

I found this logging subroutine on the net that I want to use but despite trying many things, I cannot figure out how to get the date in front of the logged text. Ideally what I'm looking for is a line that looks something like this: Wed Aug 20 18:17:29 PDT 2008 - my logging info here. my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does sync(2) block writes until completed?

Gentle readers, I am trying to observe system behavior on our RHEL 5.2 machines. I notice that, it appears to me, based on random iterations of dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/tmp/bigfile bs=1024 count=20000 ...that if the pdflush is flushing buffers at the time of my write, my write will take... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwage
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Script that writes max lines of a file - Any ideas how to fix?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmiller99
4 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

linux sqlplus select results writes into file twice

Hello, This is my first post and its because I could not find solution for myself I decided to ask help here. What I want to do; I want to get some data from a table 1 on server 1 and insert those datas into a table 2 on server 2. ( lets say schema names are server1 and server 2 also ).... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: azuahaha
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file a background program writes to

Hi! #!/usr/bin/env bash rm tmpcomm nc -v -u -l 444 | hexdump -b > tmpcomm while : do read l1 < tmpcomm read l2 < tmpcomm read l3 < tmpcomm read l4 < tmpcomm # do something doneI start netcat in the background and listen for an incoming conncetion. All incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: torax123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to modify code for catching last date from file

Hi All, I am having one abc.txt file contains below data. abc.txt contains below data jjhj "TransactTime":"2011-09-26 12:09:15" ggjk "TransactTime":"2011-10-31 12:09:15" jlajsla "TransactTime":"2011-11-01 12:09:15" in below code using " $runDate = $1 if $str =~... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
2 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)