Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming What is the difference between printf and putchar() or scanf and getchar() ? Post 302738993 by kris26 on Monday 3rd of December 2012 09:41:58 AM
Old 12-03-2012
What is the difference between printf and putchar() or scanf and getchar() ?

Im a newbie to programming language, i found tat there r these function called printf and putchar() as well as scanf and getchar(), im curious abt why do dey hav these 2 different function although dey r doing the same instruction? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getchar()

hey everyone! got another problem here. how would i use the getchar() in a prompt: Press any key to continue the way i did it was to define a char variable named ch and then wrotechar ch ... ch = getchar(); printf("Press any key to continue"); getchar():if you press enter it exits, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

2. Programming

scanf with strings... please help

hi i am a beginner to C i have encountered a problem with my assignment, and i have researched it on the internet, but unfortunately i didn't find anything related to that. i am writing a simple program that takes user's input by prompt command, and parse the whole line into an array of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inkfish
1 Replies

3. Programming

problem with scanf

hi all! i've written a simple c program: #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main() { int a; char b; char c; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

4. Programming

diff in putchar(c) and printf("%c",c);

hi all , could any tell me the diffrence between main() { char c='h'; printf("%c",c); } and main() { char c = 'h'; printf("c",putchar(c)); } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash replacement to getchar

There's a replacement in bash for getchar or get functions of C and C++?Those functions read the next char avaliable in the input stream. I've tried something like: OLD_STTY=`stty -g` stty cbreak -echo look=`dd if=/dev/tty bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null` stty $OLD_STTY But it is not working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asafe
3 Replies

6. Programming

Better than scanf

I don't know how to do this: printf("creazione nuovo messaggio\n"); printf("insert dest\n"); scanf("%s",dest); printf("insert object\n"); scanf("%s",ogg); printf("inserire text\n"); scanf("%s",test); ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
7 Replies

7. Programming

How to skip getchar in C?

Hi, I would like to read an input from keyboard using getchar. However, if no input (No Carriage return/new line none whatsoever) is given after say, 5 seconds, I would like to skip the getchar and move on. How do I do this in C. I'm using GNU compiler set. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprogdude
5 Replies

8. Programming

Help on getchar

I wanted to make a simple program that writes chracters in a file but i didnt want to press enter .So i found the getchar which doesnt need enter.If i pass (int) getchar to putc ,in the file it shows a P character.The (int) getchar says it is equal to1734747216 so i do (int) getchar-1734747216... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fireblast
4 Replies

9. Programming

How to kill disowned process which calls getchar() in code

Hi, What happens to process state when getchar() is called? I wrote a C code in which I call getchar() somewhere down the road. I forgot about that, I started the process, put it in bg and disowned it using "disown". Now, how do I see where that process has gone/how do kill it? Thanks, Amrut (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 17amrut29
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between print and printf in command?

For example, in this command: ls /etc/rc0.d/ -print ls /etc/rc0.d/ -printfThe outputs are quite different, why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
7 Replies
cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual					 cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)

NAME
cpu_capabilities - Contains the capability flags of the CPU. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> extern int cpu_capabilities; DESCRIPTION
Contains CPU flags indicating what features are available on the current CPU. The flags can be any combination of these: CPU_ID - Indicates that the "cpuid" instruction is available. If this is set, then all Allegro CPU variables are 100% reliable, otherwise there may be some mistakes. CPU_FPU - An FPU is available. CPU_IA64 - Running on Intel 64 bit CPU CPU_AMD64 - Running on AMD 64 bit CPU CPU_MMX - Intel MMX instruction set is available. CPU_MMXPLUS - Intel MMX+ instruction set is available. CPU_SSE - Intel SSE instruction set is available. CPU_SSE2 - Intel SSE2 instruction set is available. CPU_SSE3 - Intel SSE3 instruction set is available. CPU_3DNOW - AMD 3DNow! instruction set is available. CPU_ENH3DNOW - AMD Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set is available. CPU_CMOV - Pentium Pro "cmov" instruction is available. You can check for multiple features by OR-ing the flags together. For example, to check if the CPU has an FPU and MMX instructions avail- able, you'd do: if ((cpu_capabilities & (CPU_FPU | CPU_MMX)) == (CPU_FPU | CPU_MMX)) { printf("CPU has both an FPU and MMX instructions! "); } You can read this variable after you have called check_cpu() (which is automatically called by allegro_init()). SEE ALSO
check_cpu(3alleg4), cpu_vendor(3alleg4), cpu_family(3alleg4), cpu_model(3alleg4), cpu_capabilities(3alleg4), allegro_init(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)