Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract line between two patterns Post 302738619 by Don Cragun on Sunday 2nd of December 2012 05:34:42 AM
Old 12-02-2012
I believe this does what you want:
Code:
awk -F';' '/^COMMAND:/{
        found=1
        if(saved) print saved
}
/^REQUESTSTRING:/{
        if(found) saved = $1
}' input

----------------------------
Oops. I looked too closely at the expected output and missed the part about needing SEARCHPATTERN. The above script happens to work with the sample input, but is not correct in the general case.

What I should have said is something more like:
Code:
awk -F';' '/^COMMAND:/{
        if(fc && fs && saved) print saved
        fc = 1
        saved = ""
        fs = 0
}
/^REQUESTSTRING:/{
        if(fc) saved = $1
}
/SEARCHPATTERN/{
        fs = 1
}
END {   if(fc && fs && saved) print saved}' input

but elixir_sinari's proposal is shorter and should work fine as long as the input file doesn't violate the assumptions made. And, given the sample input, the assumptions look perfectly reasonable to me.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-02-2012 at 07:59 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the string between two patterns

Sample input: Loading File System Networking in nature Closing the System now i need to extract the patterns between the words File and Closing: i.e. sample output: System Networking in Nature Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain patterns from file.

Hi All, I tried extracting this pattern using grep but it did not work. What I have is a file which has contents like this: file:///channel/add-adhd.html file:///channel/allergies.html file:///channel/arthritis.html http://mail.yahoo.com/ http://messenger.yahoo.com/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract patterns and copy them in different files

Hi All, I have a file which looks like this: Name1;A01 Name2;A01.047 Name3;A01.047.025 Newname1;B01 NewName2;B01.056.32 NewName3;B04.09.43 NewNewName1;C01.03 NewNewName2;C01.034.44As you can see, in the file there is some name and followed by the name is some identifier. These... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: extract lines between two patterns

Hello Perl-experts, I am new to perl and need help to solve a problem. I have a table in below format. <Text A> <Pattern1> A Value B Value C Value D Value <Pattern2> <Text B> This table is in file1. I want to extract lines between Pattern1 and Pattern2 and write it into file2.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnithink
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract text repetitively between two patterns

Hi All, I want to extract the text between some pattern which occurs repeatedly in a file. For example my input is like, /home/..... ..........java:25: cannot find symbol ............ /home/...... /home/....... I want to display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vignesh58
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the lines in between of 2 patterns and merge them

Hi, I have a file with many lines and need to extract lines between 2 patterns (AAA and BBB) and merge all the in-between lines into single line separated by space. $ cat file1 blah blah blah blah AAA 1 2 3 blah BBB blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AAA 5 6 blah blah... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

8. Debian

Extract Lines Between 2 patterns if exist...

Hello. I am not having luck with sed or awk today. $ echo "$BrackListFinal" DSCF3649-DSCF3651_Brkt DSCF3649.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3649.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3650.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2 DSCF3650.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the sentences that matched two patterns

Hi I have two lists of patterns named A and B consisting of around 200 entries in each and I want to extract all the sentences from a big text file which match atleast one pattern from both A and B. For example, pattern list A consists of : ama ani ahum mari ... ... and pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines between patterns

I have a list in the format below, how do I read through the list and extract the lines between the ##START## and ##END##, so i can check for specific values between each ##START## & ##END## pattern ##START## RANDOMTEXT DFGSD SDFSDF ##END## ##START## morestuff sdfggfg sdfsdf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
10 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] [-e pattern_list] [-f pattern-file] [pattern] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes ('). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.10 4 Oct 2002 fgrep(1)