Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming About uncopyable class (on book:Effective C++) Post 302738345 by vistastar on Saturday 1st of December 2012 05:20:13 AM
Old 12-01-2012
About uncopyable class (on book:Effective C++)

See the following code:
Code:
#include<iostream>
using namespace std;
class Uncopyable
{
protected:
    Uncopyable(){cout<<"hehe\n";}
    ~Uncopyable(){}
private:
    Uncopyable(const Uncopyable &rhs){cout<<"oooops\n";};
    Uncopyable& operator=(const Uncopyable &rhs);
};

class Dog : private Uncopyable
{
    string name;
    int value;
public:

Dog(const string &s, const int &v):name(s), value(v){}
public:
    //Dog(const Dog &rhs){};             //here is the question!
};

int main()
{
    Dog a("a", 9);
    Dog b(a);
}

If I comment out that line, g++ will complaint "Uncopyable::Uncopyable(const Uncopyable&) is private". I think that mean the default copy ctor of derived class created by g++ called the base class' copy ctor.

If I make available of that line, every thing is ok. It out put
Code:
hehe
hehe

I think this mean the default copy ctor of derived class created by g++ called the base class' default ctor.
Am I right? If yes, why doesn't the default copy ctor derived class, in condition 2, call the base class' copy ctor? Why it behave so inconsistently?

thank you!

Last edited by vistastar; 12-01-2012 at 06:31 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Changing effective user

I would like to give execution rights for a script to one user. (that's the easy part...) When that user is running the script, I would like the effective user ID to be that of the file-owner. Is this possible? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilmel
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

most effective search ?

what's the most efficient and effective search for a file in a dir ? I see many guys use this # find - print or something as such ? and sometimes pipe it to something else ? Is there a better way of using "grep" in all of this ? thanks simon2000 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

car class (not school class)

im just trying to have some fun and kill some time writing a c++ program that has a person type in a car make and model then gives them a year and a price. or something like that. i always have problems getting it goin but once the ball is rolling im usually pretty good. anyone wanna help me out? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

4. Programming

C++ class definition with a member of the same class

Hi, i have a question about C++. Is it possible to declare a class with a member ot the same class? For example, a linked list or i want to convert this C code to C++ class (Elemento) typedef struct elemento { char name; char value; List<struct elemento> ltElementos; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pogdorica
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real and Effective IDs

Can anyone explain me in details of Real and Effective IDs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
6 Replies

6. Programming

static use for class inside the same class c++

Hi, I believe the next code is wrong: class Egg { Egg e; int i; Egg(int ii=0) : i(ii) {} }; because you would end up with an endless definition (memory allocation) of Egg objects, thus int i. Ok, so God Eckel proposes for a singleton: class Egg { static Egg e; int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavipoes
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Get pointer for existing device class (struct class) in Linux kernel module

Hi all! I am trying to register a device in an existing device class, but I am having trouble getting the pointer to an existing class. I can create a class in a module, get the pointer to it and then use it to register the device with: *cl = class_create(THIS_MODULE, className);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdaniel@ualg.pt
0 Replies

8. Programming

Size of Derived class, upon virtual base class inheritance

I have the two class definition as follows. class A { public: int a; }; class B : virtual public A{ }; The size of class A is shown as 4, and size of class B is shown as 16. Why is this effect ?. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmonk
2 Replies

9. Programming

C++ : Base class member function not accessible from derived class

Hello All, I am a learner in C++. I was testing my inheritance knowledge with following piece of code. #include <iostream> using namespace std; class base { public : void display() { cout << "In base display()" << endl; } void display(int k) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
2 Replies
FBB::lm(3bobcat)                                              OFoldStream manipulator                                             FBB::lm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::lm - Manipulator setting left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The lm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to set the stream's left margin to a requested value. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be used for the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still once an lm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below). A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o lm(size_t newValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << lm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << lm(0) << flush << "at column 0 again "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/lm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), mlm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::lm(3bobcat)