Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract compressed tarball to folder? Post 302738285 by ctsgnb on Friday 30th of November 2012 06:40:47 PM
Old 11-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Be sure you have relative paths:
Code:
tar xft tar.gz | head

@Jim
I suppose you meant
Code:
tar zft tar.gz | head

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

extract tar.gz under a specific folder

Hi, How to extract a tar.gz file and put it under a designated folder that I specify in a one line command? thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there any way to add to a tarball made in this fashion

Hello, I am wondering if there is an easy way to add a file to a tarball rather than extracting, adding, then remaking the tarball. The tarball was made in this way: tar -cpvzf .wine.tar.gz .wine/If I had a file to the .wine/ dir (or if I just wanted to add a file to the tarball), I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to grep/read a file inside compressed tgz without extract?

Hi all, I would like to ask whether in Unix shell/perl have any functions or command to allow grep/cat/read a file inside compressed .tgz without extract it? I know we can tar tvf a compressed tgz but this only allow we read the path/filename contained inside the tarball. If we want to read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayshy
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract contents of ONLY one directory from ZIP folder.

I have a ZIP folder ( folder.zip or folder.jar ) which contains , lets say 3 directories under it ( directory1, directory2, directory3). How can i unzip the contents of directory2 ONLY ? I do not have to unzip the complete folder. TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Extract particular folder from a .tar format files.

Hi All- I want to extract a particular folder from .tar format files. For example: File Name: backup.tar The backup.tar contains the below folders & files. 1) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-1/* 2) /root_folder/Folder1/Folder1-2/* 3) /root_folder/Folder2/Folder2-1/* 4)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract a folder from a full path

Hi everyone, I have different folders which looks like this: /mnt/ecrm/master/ecrm/templates/brochure/de_DE/zeitlos.ott /mnt/ecrm/master/ecrm/templates/mail/en_US/default.html /templates/header_and_footer/en_US/default.txt I want to get the bold text only in a variable. I already have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evilass
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unpack individual files from tarball

Say you don't want to unpack the whole thing, just individual files or directories within a .tgz. How to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevensw
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tarball of current directory

I wanna make a backup tarball. I wanna write a script that makes tarball of the current directory. There are lots of files so I cant type all files, I wanna make the tarball by excluding few files. Like there 1000 files in a directory I wanna create a tarball containing 98 files of that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self extracting tarball

I was wondering if anyone can point me to some topics, material, or tutorials that can help me write a shell script that creates a second script that is a Self-extracting tarball. Don't want any actual code obviously because this is a school project, but I feel my teacher didn't well cover the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canes27
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating a tarball on Solaris issue with errors

Hi All, We are planning to migrate from Solaris to AIX, and we have a requirement to move all files modified in last 7 days to AIX. i found many helpful forums on this site but somehow the issue was still not solved: Used the following command from the directory which we want to scan ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil8
6 Replies
file-roller(1)						      General Commands Manual						    file-roller(1)

NAME
file-roller - archive manager for GNOME SYNOPSIS
file-roller [OPTIONS...] [FILE...] DESCRIPTION
File Roller is a graphical interface to archiving utilities such as tar and zip. It supports most common operations such as creating, modifing and extracting files from an archive. You can also view the contents of an archive and open files contained in the archive. OPTIONS
-a, --add-to=ARCHIVE Add files to the specified archive and quit the program -d, --add FILE Add files asking the name of the archive and quit the program -e, --extract-to=FOLDER Extract archives to the specified folder and quit the program -f, --extract Extract archives asking the destination folder and quit the program -h, --extract-here Extract archives using the archive name as destination folder and quit the program --default-dir=FOLDER Default folder to use for the '--add' and '--extract' commands --force Create destination folder without asking confirmation This program also accepts the standard GNOME and GTK options. AUTHORS
file-roller is written by Paolo Bacchilega <paolo.bacch@tin.it>. This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
gtk-options(7), gnome-options(7) The online documentation available through the program's Help menu. GNOME
2007-09-27 file-roller(1)