Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute? Post 302738131 by Corona688 on Friday 30th of November 2012 11:39:20 AM
Old 11-30-2012
So running files, and creating files, are entirely separate things. UNIX likes to keep things separate like that. It can keep data and executables as far apart as different partitions for safety so you, out-of-control programs, malicious network worms, random disk corruption, and other nasties do as little damage as possible when they happen.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi All, We use tomcat web server and it will get terminated with below error: connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown) Please let me know how to fix this error. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

IPF pass in connection to port 21 even with no explicit rule

I'm running IPF on solaris 10 bash-3.00# ipf -V #display ipf version ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.9 (592) Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.9 Running: yes Log Flags: 0 = none set Default: pass all, Logging: available Active list: 1 Feature mask: 0x107 with the following rules bash-3.00# ipfstat -o -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

6. AIX

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I want to run applet on AIX 6 machine. I already have setup $DISPLAY variable for putty session by selecting X11 option. I got below error for any X related commands (xclock, X, applet viewer ) X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). Please can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailas.girase
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Global symbol requires explicit package name Error while executing

I have executed the below perl script for copying the file from one server to another server using scp. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Net::SCP::Expect; use strict; $server= "x.x.x.x"; my $source = "/mypath/mypath"; my $destination = "/home/"; print "Login...Starting scp..."; $user="admin";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH shell script to access FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

Hello, I use the following SSH script to upload *.jpg files via FTP: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout -1 spawn ftp -v -i expect "" send "\r" expect "Password:" send "\r" expect "ftp>" send "mput *.jpg\r" expect "ftp>" send "quit\r" replaced with actual ftp server/account data. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpi007
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Add explicit route

Add explicit route to 10.128.255.41/32 , gateway: 10.128.201.254 if not working, please try gateway through management port: 10.128.55.254 Just want to double confirm if this would be the correct command #route add -net 10.128.255.41/32 10.128.201.254 And if didnt work #route add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
1 Replies
COMPAT_SUNOS(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   COMPAT_SUNOS(8)

NAME
compat_sunos -- setup procedure for m68k, sparc and sparc64 architectures DESCRIPTION
NetBSD/sparc64, NetBSD/sparc and some of the NetBSD/m68k architectures can run SunOS executables. Most executables will work. The exceptions include programs that use the SunOS kvm library, and various system calls, ioctl()'s, or kernel semantics that are difficult to emulate. The number of reasons why a program might fail to work is (thankfully) longer than the number of programs that fail to run. Static executables will normally run without any extra setup. This procedure details the directories and files that must be set up to allow dynamically linked executables to work. The files you need are on your SunOS machine. You need to worry about the legal issues of ensuring that you have a right to use the required files on your machine. On your NetBSD machine, do the following: 1. mkdir -p /emul/sunos/usr/lib /emul/sunos/usr/5lib 2. cp SunOS:/usr/lib/lib*.so.*.* NetBSD:/emul/sunos/usr/lib 3. cp SunOS:/usr/5lib/lib*.so.*.* NetBSD:/emul/sunos/usr/5lib 4. cp SunOS:/usr/lib/ld.so NetBSD:/emul/sunos/usr/lib/ld.so 5. If you ever expect to use YP, you will want to create a link: ln -s /var/run/ypbind.lock /etc/ypbind.lock Alternatively, you can use an NFS mount to accomplish the same effect. On your NetBSD machine, do the following: 1. mkdir -p /emul/sunos/usr 2. mount SunOS:/usr /emul/sunos/usr This will place the SunOS libraries on your NetBSD machine in a location where the SunOS compatibility code will look for first, where they do not conflict with the standard libraries. NOTES
When using compat_sunos on NetBSD/sparc64, the COMPAT_NETBSD32 option must also be used. BUGS
A list of things which fail to work in compatibility mode should be here. SunOS executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. Should such an offset occur, you will see the message ``sunos_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program''. Currently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. The NetBSD/sparc64 support is less complete than the other ports. BSD
February 3, 2001 BSD