Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute? Post 302737809 by bakunin on Thursday 29th of November 2012 06:15:51 PM
Old 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudon't
Ok, I kinda get that it might be about having executables in permissions protected directories, but if all you need to do is use the absolute pathname, it doesn't seem like much security.
In fact it is: directories where (system) binaries are stored, like "/usr/bin", are writable only for root (and probably for a very select group of other system users). This means that only root can change the contents of the directory. As normal work never happens under root (at least this should be so) normal users and their processes can only use what is in there and not modify it.

Suppose the following: you use "/usr/bin/ls" by typing just "ls" because your PATH contains "/usr/bin". Now i write a program which erases everything in your HOME directory. I couldn't run that program, because the system would not let me. Therefore i place it somewhere and name it "ls". Because you have "." in your path once you enter the directory where this program file is and type "ls", this is executed instead of "/usr/bin/ls" and now you are requesting your HOME directory to be deleted - what the program now is allowed, because it runs under your ID. Mission accomplished.

In fact this makes for an awful lot of security if you do not use root for your daily work, just for system administration purposes) and do your normal work (like surfing the web, etc.) only under your user-ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudon't
If I ever write something useful, I'll stick it in /usr/local/bin
This is a good idea and very very close to what the expert way is. An even better idea would be to: make /usr/local/bin writable only by root. Put in there only things you want to use with all the users on the system. Create a directory $HOME/bin, which will be writable only by you. Put all the scripts which are only for your use there. This is the most canonical way of doing this. Don't forget Unix is truly a multi-user system (unlike Windoze, which is implicitly single-user, even in modern versions. The multi-user-feature is obviously "tinkered on second thoughts".) and you should separate things needed only by you and things needed for everyone on the system - even if it is your own system and nobody else will ever use it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Last edited by bakunin; 11-29-2012 at 07:26 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi All, We use tomcat web server and it will get terminated with below error: connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown) Please let me know how to fix this error. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

IPF pass in connection to port 21 even with no explicit rule

I'm running IPF on solaris 10 bash-3.00# ipf -V #display ipf version ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.9 (592) Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.9 Running: yes Log Flags: 0 = none set Default: pass all, Logging: available Active list: 1 Feature mask: 0x107 with the following rules bash-3.00# ipfstat -o -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

6. AIX

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I want to run applet on AIX 6 machine. I already have setup $DISPLAY variable for putty session by selecting X11 option. I got below error for any X related commands (xclock, X, applet viewer ) X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). Please can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailas.girase
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Global symbol requires explicit package name Error while executing

I have executed the below perl script for copying the file from one server to another server using scp. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Net::SCP::Expect; use strict; $server= "x.x.x.x"; my $source = "/mypath/mypath"; my $destination = "/home/"; print "Login...Starting scp..."; $user="admin";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH shell script to access FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

Hello, I use the following SSH script to upload *.jpg files via FTP: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout -1 spawn ftp -v -i expect "" send "\r" expect "Password:" send "\r" expect "ftp>" send "mput *.jpg\r" expect "ftp>" send "quit\r" replaced with actual ftp server/account data. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpi007
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Add explicit route

Add explicit route to 10.128.255.41/32 , gateway: 10.128.201.254 if not working, please try gateway through management port: 10.128.55.254 Just want to double confirm if this would be the correct command #route add -net 10.128.255.41/32 10.128.201.254 And if didnt work #route add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
1 Replies