Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy files listed in text file to new directory Post 302737517 by PikK45 on Thursday 29th of November 2012 06:34:27 AM
Old 11-29-2012
Even though you don't know how many lines are there in the List (file with filenames), you could do copying to the directory.

Code:
cat List.txt | while read line
do
cp $line <<desired_directory>>/
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CVSWeb - Directories listed but files not listed

I am using CVSWeb on HPUnix. When i access it, all directories are listed but files are not listed. I am getting the error "NOTE: There are 51 files, but none matches the current tag. " in tomcat sevrer log i am getting the message "rlog warning: Missing revision or branch number after -r"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Copy files from the file to another directory

I have created a file that has list of all the files I want to copy into another directory.Is there a way to do it? Thanks In advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreethik
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem.

Hi, Say I have this text file <copy.out> that contains a list of files/directories to be copied out to a different location. $ more copy.out dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4 If I do the following: $copy=`more copy.out` $echo $copy dir1/file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 60doses
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript to sort duplicate files listed in a text file

I have many pdf's scattered across 4 machines. There is 1 location where I have other Pdf's maintained. But the issues it the 4 machines may have duplicate pdf's among themselves, but I want just 1 copy of each so that they can be transfered to that 1 location. What I have thought is: 1) I have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files listed in a data file to a new directory using Perl

Hi, I have a data file that lists a number of files. I want to move the files named in that one to another directory. Here's what I have: #!/usr/bin/perl -w open(FILE, "<collision.txt"); my @lines=<FILE>; foreach my $lines (@lines) { system("mv $lines collisions/."); } close(FILE); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renthead720
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a mail to IDs listed in a text file

I have a list of mail ids in text file and want a ksh script that reads this text file and sends a mail to all mail ids with same subject line and content. I am using UX-HP machine and KSH. Thanks for help in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Compare zone files in directory with what is listed in named.conf

I would really appreciate any assistance that I can get here. I am fairly new to perl. I am trying to rewrite my shell scripts to perl. Currently I have a shell script (using sed, awk, grep, etc) that gets a list of all of the zone files in a directory and then looks in named.conf for what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files listed in text file

Hi Team, Here's the scenario, I have a text file called "file_list.txt". Its content is as follows. 111.tmp 112.tmp 113.tmp 114.tmp These files will present in "workdir" directory. It has many files. But only the files present in file_list.txt has to be deleted from the workdir... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to delete the junk files from a directory which are not listed in a TEXT file

Hello Everyone, I want to delete the image files from a directory, which are not listed in a TEXT file. The directory contains large number of image files (in millions) required / not required. I want to delete the image files which are "not required". I have generated a Text file having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Note that package.shlibs is only installed in compat level 9 and earlier. In compat 10, please use dh_makeshlibs(1). package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. However, the "maint-script-parameters" should not be included as debhelper will add those automatically. Example: # Correct rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo # INCORRECT rm_conffile /etc/obsolete.conf 0.2~ foo -- "$@" In compat 10 or later, any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. It was also the intention to escape shell metacharacters in previous compat levels. However, it did not work properly and as such it was possible to embed arbitrary shell code in earlier compat levels. The dh_installdeb tool will do some basic validation of some of the commands listed in this file to catch common mistakes. The validation is enabled as a warning since compat 10 and as a hard error in compat 12. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)