Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute? Post 302737313 by Yoda on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 06:23:55 PM
Old 11-28-2012
Corona688,
I have a question: I do not have current directory added to my PATH, but still I am able to run scripts without specifying absolute path in HP-UX & KSH
Code:
# uname
HP-UX
# echo $SHELL
/usr/bin/ksh

But this is not the case with Linux & BASH:-
Code:
# uname
Linux
# echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

Why is this behavior? Is this something to do with the UNIX shell?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi All, We use tomcat web server and it will get terminated with below error: connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown) Please let me know how to fix this error. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

IPF pass in connection to port 21 even with no explicit rule

I'm running IPF on solaris 10 bash-3.00# ipf -V #display ipf version ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.9 (592) Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.9 Running: yes Log Flags: 0 = none set Default: pass all, Logging: available Active list: 1 Feature mask: 0x107 with the following rules bash-3.00# ipfstat -o -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

6. AIX

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I want to run applet on AIX 6 machine. I already have setup $DISPLAY variable for putty session by selecting X11 option. I got below error for any X related commands (xclock, X, applet viewer ) X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). Please can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailas.girase
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Global symbol requires explicit package name Error while executing

I have executed the below perl script for copying the file from one server to another server using scp. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Net::SCP::Expect; use strict; $server= "x.x.x.x"; my $source = "/mypath/mypath"; my $destination = "/home/"; print "Login...Starting scp..."; $user="admin";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH shell script to access FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

Hello, I use the following SSH script to upload *.jpg files via FTP: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout -1 spawn ftp -v -i expect "" send "\r" expect "Password:" send "\r" expect "ftp>" send "mput *.jpg\r" expect "ftp>" send "quit\r" replaced with actual ftp server/account data. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpi007
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Add explicit route

Add explicit route to 10.128.255.41/32 , gateway: 10.128.201.254 if not working, please try gateway through management port: 10.128.55.254 Just want to double confirm if this would be the correct command #route add -net 10.128.255.41/32 10.128.201.254 And if didnt work #route add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)