Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why Do You Need the Explicit Pathname to Execute? Post 302737313 by Yoda on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 06:23:55 PM
Old 11-28-2012
Corona688,
I have a question: I do not have current directory added to my PATH, but still I am able to run scripts without specifying absolute path in HP-UX & KSH
Code:
# uname
HP-UX
# echo $SHELL
/usr/bin/ksh

But this is not the case with Linux & BASH:-
Code:
# uname
Linux
# echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

Why is this behavior? Is this something to do with the UNIX shell?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find without pathname

How can I get the results of a find back without the pathname for example if i do find ../../ -name \*.sql i dont want to see directory/directory/filename.sql I only want to see filename.sql (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting pathname variables with ksh

With C Shell you can get the root, head, tail and extension of a pathname by using pathname variable modifiers. Example Script: #! /bin/csh set pathvar=/home/WSJ091305.txt echo $pathvar:r echo $pathvar:h echo $pathvar:t echo $pathvar:e The result of executing this script is: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Hi All, We use tomcat web server and it will get terminated with below error: connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown) Please let me know how to fix this error. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding pathname for directory

Hi Could someone help me? I'm not sure how to find the full pathname of a directory. I just want to be able to specify a directory. e.g directory1/directory2/directory3/directory4/directory5 I want to be able to put in "directory5" and then i want a return of the full address. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shomila_a
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

IPF pass in connection to port 21 even with no explicit rule

I'm running IPF on solaris 10 bash-3.00# ipf -V #display ipf version ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.9 (592) Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.9 Running: yes Log Flags: 0 = none set Default: pass all, Logging: available Active list: 1 Feature mask: 0x107 with the following rules bash-3.00# ipfstat -o -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

6. AIX

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I want to run applet on AIX 6 machine. I already have setup $DISPLAY variable for putty session by selecting X11 option. I got below error for any X related commands (xclock, X, applet viewer ) X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). Please can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailas.girase
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Global symbol requires explicit package name Error while executing

I have executed the below perl script for copying the file from one server to another server using scp. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use Net::SCP::Expect; use strict; $server= "x.x.x.x"; my $source = "/mypath/mypath"; my $destination = "/home/"; print "Login...Starting scp..."; $user="admin";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH shell script to access FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

Hello, I use the following SSH script to upload *.jpg files via FTP: #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout -1 spawn ftp -v -i expect "" send "\r" expect "Password:" send "\r" expect "ftp>" send "mput *.jpg\r" expect "ftp>" send "quit\r" replaced with actual ftp server/account data. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpi007
5 Replies

9. IP Networking

Add explicit route

Add explicit route to 10.128.255.41/32 , gateway: 10.128.201.254 if not working, please try gateway through management port: 10.128.55.254 Just want to double confirm if this would be the correct command #route add -net 10.128.255.41/32 10.128.201.254 And if didnt work #route add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
1 Replies
socket-event(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   socket-event(8)

NAME
socket - event signalling that a socket connection has been made SYNOPSIS
socket PROTO=PROTO PORT=PORT ADDR=ADDR socket PROTO=PROTO PATH=PATH DESCRIPTION
The socket event is generated by the upstart-socket-bridge(8) daemon when a socket connection is made whose details match the socket event condition and environment specified in a jobs start on or stop on stanza. When an incoming connection is detected, the file descriptor representing the socket is passed to the job in question to allow it to accept(2) the connection. Additionally, the environment variable UPSTART_JOB will contain the name of the event ("socket") and the environ- ment variable UPSTART_FDS will contain the number of the file descriptor corresponding to the listening socket. EXAMPLES
Internet socket Start web server when first client connects from localhost: start on socket PROTO=inet PORT=80 ADDR=127.0.0.1 Local socket start on socket PROTO=unix PATH=/var/run/.s.pgsql.1234 Abstract socket start on socket PROTO=unix PATH=@/at/upstart/example AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> Manual page written by James Hunt <james.hunt@ubuntu.com> BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
init(5) init(8) socket(2) socket(7) upstart-socket-bridge(8) upstart 2011-03-08 socket-event(8)