Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to obtain a day of the week from the date? Post 302737069 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 10:35:01 AM
Old 11-28-2012
spacebar, this is not a 'bash feature'. date is an external utility, not part of bash -- your code would work equally well in a variety of shells, but has one problem. The -d switch is a nonstandard GNU feature, something vanilla AIX does not have.

Running the date external utility to extract two characters from a string is overkill of the nth order, in any case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday's Day of week

I need o get yesterday's day of week but im not exactly sure. the actual name is what i want. I can do it with numbers but im not sure with words. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find Day of the Week from the given date (Perl)?

How to find the Day of the Week of the given Date using perl? If I have a date in YYY--MM-DD format, how to find the DOW? Based on that, I need to find the following sunday. Pls help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to get day of week from YYYY-MM-DD date

Can't find out how to get the day of the week from a given date, anyone got a code snippet that could help please? Ta!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: couponmeup
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Day of the week from a string

Hi All, I need to know how to derive the day of the week by passing the value in following format: Feb 28 2010 The output I'm expecting is Sunday or Sun. I know, I can use the following code to get the day of the week. date +%a But I want to pass the value as a string. Please help... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to obtain date and day of the week from `date` command

Hi, does anybody know how to format `date` command correctly to return the day of the week? Thanks -A I work in ksh.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Day of the week from date

I have a problem of Finding Day of the week from date, but i need to do it within awk On SOLARIS Input:20101007(YYYYMMDD) Output:Thursday kindly provide suggestions. Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add day of week at the end of each line that shows the date?

I have a file that looks like: file1: www_blank_com 20121008153552 www_blank_com 20121008162542 www_blank_com 20121009040540 www_blank_com 20121009041542 www_blank_com 20121010113548 www_blank_com 20121011113551 www_blank_com 20121012113542 I want the new file to show the day of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the consecutive last 10 week day date using UNIX ksh shell scripting?

Hi, i am writing a ksh shell script to check the last month end date whether it is falling in last 10 week day date, I am not sure How to use "Mr. Perderabo's date calculator", Could you Please let me know how to use to get my requirement, I tried my own script but duplicate week day and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)