Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3 Post 302736929 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 07:05:13 AM
Old 11-28-2012
A simpler portable way to do the same thing is:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
default=user1
printf "Please enter the username you would like to add (%s): " "$default"
read input
USERNAME=${input:-$default}
echo USERNAME is $USERNAME

It should work with any version of bash, ksh, or any other POSIX conforming shell.
The only portable option to the read utility is -r.

Note that I used printf instead of echo because the way you specify printing a prompt without a newline using echo varies from system to system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getline to read input from a user

Hi, The gcc compiler has warned about using gets(), so I've been trying my hand at getline. Problem is that I've been able to read from a file, but what I really need is to read from a user's input. I want to use getline like a scanf() command, but I can't figure what to substitute for the fp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdsd
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a line of text from user input?

Hiii I wanna a read a line of text from standard input. The user enter data like this way name phone_no month1_salary month2_salary that is user enter the name ,phone no and salary of 2 months in a single line by giving spaces. I wanna add the 3rd and 4th fields ...ie add both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash user input

Hi all, I currently have a script which uses read -p for user interaction. e.g. read -p "New user? " user Is it possible to have it so if the user enters nothing and just presses return it can resort to a specified value instead? Thanks! :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read use a path as input

I am trying to script simply data transfer. I would like to have the user input the source "SRC" (/Volumes/DriveName/Users/johnq123) and then name the directory that the copied information will go to, "DST" . put I can't get it to work - #!/bin/bash ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dropkick888
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris- Read command from user input

I need to write a bourne shell script (solaris 10) that accepts input from the user. The input will be a command- any command like ls/ pwd/ mv etc. After the input is read, the shell must execute the command supplied by the user. I know we use read to play with user inputs. Just not sure how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PDManc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash user input

I am starting to learn how to use bash and I would like the script to do the following: Asks the user for his/her name Asks the user for one number Asks the user for another number Then it adds the two numbers, Also multiply the two numbers I have the part where you get the name, and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to read user input

I am creating a bash that uses perl . The below code closes before the input is entered. If I run the perl as a .pl it is fine. What am I doing wrong? Thank you :). #!/bin/bash cd 'C:\Users\cmccabe\Desktop\wget' wget -O getCSV.txt http://xxx.xx.xxx.xxx/data/getCSV.csv print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string 'script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form '@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with '-' and are described below. You can use '--' to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a ';' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with '=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line (but in this case you have to be careful with quotes if the prompt string contains a space; otherwise you may confuse the shell.) The default prompts are "> " and ">> ". OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l name call require('name') before executing script. Typically used to load libraries. -v show version information. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes $Date: 2006/01/06 16:03:34 $ LUA(1)