Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - count character count of fields Post 302736841 by bartus11 on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 03:47:24 AM
Old 11-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundix
I guess printf length($NF)"\n" is used to make the jump line, but i do not understand its usage.
Can you detail it please ?

Thank You
It is just attaching newline character to the end of the last field's length.
This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: sort lines by count of a character or string in a line

I want to sort lines by how many times a string occurs in each line (the most times first). I know how to do this in two passes (add a count field in the first pass then sort on it in the second pass). However, can it be done more optimally with a single AWK command? My AWK has improved... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count and number instances of a character in sed or awk

I currently use LaTeX together with a sed script to set cloze test papers for my students. I currently pepend and equals sign to the front of the words I want to leave out in the finished test, =perpendicular, for example. I am able to number the blanks using a variable in LaTeX. I would like to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maouinin
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count fields not working

Hi, i am trying to count the fields in a file. Input: 100,1000,,2000,3000,10/26/2012 12:12:30 200,3000,,1000,01/28/2012 17:12:30 300,5000,,5000,7000,09/06/2012 16:12:30 output: Cout of the fileds for each row 6 5 6 awk -F"," '{print $NF}' file1.txt When i try with above awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Awk: count occurrence of each character for every field

Hi, let's say an input looks like: A|C|C|D A|C|I|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B as the title of the thread explains, I am trying to get something like: 1|A=4 2|C=2|B=1|T=1 3|I=3|C=1 4|D=1|E=1|C=1|B=1 i.e. a count of every character in each field (first column of output) independently, sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count and rename based on fields

In the below awk using the tab-delimited input, I am trying count the - symbol in $5 and output the count as well as the renamed condition ins. I am also count the - symbol in $6 and output the count as well as the renamed condition del. I am also count the tomes that in $5 and $6 there are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies
WC(1)								   User Commands							     WC(1)

NAME
wc - print newline, word, and byte counts for each file SYNOPSIS
wc [OPTION]... [FILE]... wc [OPTION]... --files0-from=F DESCRIPTION
Print newline, word, and byte counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. A word is a non-zero-length sequence of characters delimited by white space. The options below may be used to select which counts are printed, always in the following order: newline, word, character, byte, maximum line length. -c, --bytes print the byte counts -m, --chars print the character counts -l, --lines print the newline counts --files0-from=F read input from the files specified by NUL-terminated names in file F; If F is - then read names from standard input -L, --max-line-length print the length of the longest line -w, --words print the word counts --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report wc translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for wc is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and wc programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'wc invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 WC(1)