Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility Post 302736831 by Subhasis on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 03:09:46 AM
Old 11-28-2012
@Jotne : yes, yes, thats also a solution I found out a few minutes ago Smilie..
actually '\' make cat escape '#' as a comment character....nice one

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/cat/more -- search in a txt file and display content from a specific "keyword"

Hi, I have a .txt file Sample: ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 ip access-list extended BLA_Incoming_Filter ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx access-list 2 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====================... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAt utility in java

Hello friends, could you please advice me of how to traslate this program written in C to java? #include <cstdio> main( ){ char c; c = getchar( ); while (c != EOF) { putchar(c); c = getchar( ); } } I am supposed to test the difference in time between compiling the C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentaboha87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix / Linux Dialog Utility - how to open 2+ more dialog windows ?

Hi, example of Unix / Linux dialog utility is below. I am going to use dialog as simple GUI for testing of a modem. So I need to combine some dialog boxes into one. I need to have input box, output box, info box, dialog box, radiobox as in any standard program with graphical user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat vs head vs readline get variable from txt file

I have a file with a single filename in it, which I want to assign to a BASH variable, so I've been trying: c=$(head -1 somefile) echo $c which outputs correctly, but them when I do ... somecommand $c it says it can't find the file, is that because it's grabbing the whole line, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat can not open file

Hi All, I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is, <mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh> DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
FPARSELN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       FPARSELN(3)

NAME
fparseln -- return the next logical line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> #include <util.h> char * fparseln(FILE *stream, size_t *len, size_t *lineno, const char delim[3], int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fparseln() function returns a pointer to the next logical line from the stream referenced by stream. This string is NUL terminated and it is dynamically allocated on each invocation. It is the responsibility of the caller to free the pointer. By default, if a character is escaped, both it and the preceding escape character will be present in the returned string. Various flags alter this behaviour. The meaning of the arguments is as follows: stream The stream to read from. len If not NULL, the length of the string is stored in the memory location to which it points. lineno If not NULL, the value of the memory location to which is pointed to, is incremented by the number of lines actually read from the file. delim Contains the escape, continuation, and comment characters. If a character is NUL then processing for that character is disabled. If NULL, all characters default to values specified below. The contents of delim is as follows: delim[0] The escape character, which defaults to , is used to remove any special meaning from the next character. delim[1] The continuation character, which defaults to , is used to indicate that the next line should be concatenated with the current one if this character is the last character on the current line and is not escaped. delim[2] The comment character, which defaults to #, if not escaped indicates the beginning of a comment that extends until the end of the current line. flags If non-zero, alter the operation of fparseln(). The various flags, which may be or-ed together, are: FPARSELN_UNESCCOMM Remove escape preceding an escaped comment. FPARSELN_UNESCCONT Remove escape preceding an escaped continuation. FPARSELN_UNESCESC Remove escape preceding an escaped escape. FPARSELN_UNESCREST Remove escape preceding any other character. FPARSELN_UNESCALL All of the above. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion a pointer to the parsed line is returned; otherwise, NULL is returned. The fparseln() function uses internally fgetln(3), so all error conditions that apply to fgetln(3), apply to fparseln(). In addition fparseln() may set errno to ENOMEM and return NULL if it runs out of memory. SEE ALSO
fgetln(3) HISTORY
The fparseln() function first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
December 1, 1997 BSD