Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed garbled error message in bash shell Post 302736603 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 27th of November 2012 03:07:17 PM
Old 11-27-2012
In your sample there seems to be a space behind the \ that should not be there. The backslash should be the last character on the line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Garbled Sed w/variables

I'm trying to get a partial file path by passing the part I want removed to sed. Sed gets garbled when I try multiple directories (i.e. because of the extra slash). For example: FULLFILEPATH="usr/local/bin" STRIPDIR="usr" PARTFILEPATH=`echo $FULLFILEPATH | sed s/\${STRIPDIR}//` Gives me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bergerj3
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled

Im getting this error message when trying to substitute filepaths in a sed search and replace string #!/usr/bin/ksh ORACLE_SID=PH3 ORACLE_ADMIN=/data01/app/oracle/admin/$ORACLE_SID DATAFILE_DIR=/asterisk/oradata/$ORACLE_SID sed -e s/DBNAME/$ORACLE_SID/g < initPH2.ora | sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blakmk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled error.....

Dear friends, please give me the solution to the following query. If a file contains multiple tags of same name, then how to get the required string between the tags, in which the string begins with "W/X" i.e., file1.txt contains following text(please note that all the following tags are in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swamymns
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: command garbled :s/

Hi, I really need some help, I am using a very basic script to proess a text file. This script has been used many times but all of a sudden all on it's own it's stopped working. The line in the script is: sed 's/ //g' $ORGFILE > $NEWFILE and the error is Sed: command garbled :s/ All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heidi.lightfoot
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled

Hi, I have a file1 as : A=/home/user B=/home/user1 C=/home/user2 D=/home/aacsms E=/home/user1/temp F=/home/user1/area1 and my script as: a=`cat /home/aacsms7/file1 | grep -i e` b=`user2` sed 's/'$a'/"E=/home/'$b'/temp"/g' < file1 > file2 sed: command garbled:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command garbled error

sed: command garbled: s/ri="*"/ri=" what i did is you can see below sed "s/ri=\"*\"/ri=\"$newri\"/" $2 > output how to solve this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasricha.kunal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command garbled question

for j in $(cat ${list_B}) do to_replace_2=$(grep $j ${useralias}_2) sed "s/^${j}/${to_replace_2}/p" ${entries} > ${entries}_2 mv ${entries}_2 ${entries} done Hi, I've the above sed command running in a script. Its basically looping through a file and replacing its beginning of line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: command garbled error

Hi all, Suppose that I want to update the db.password entry in the below properties file, db.username=admin db.password=qhKkBno2U5GEq5k/dnmGPA== //I want this line to be replaced by: "db.password=abc/123/" db.host=server db.port=22 db.sid=database However when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - Command garbled

Hi, First post for a noob so please go easy with me :) I have a XML block that is originally like this: <SETNAME>somecrap/THIS</SETNAME> and I would like it be replaced with, in the original file: <SETNAME>THIS</SETNAME> I tried to use: sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhuanyi
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command garbled when using sed

Hi everyone, Can anyone help me in question below? I want to cron a job to add partition every month but get the error sed: command garbled: s/YYYYMM/ . > echo $YYYYMON_NEW 201304 > echo $YYYYMON_OLD 201208 > echo $YYYY_MM_NEW 2013-05 This is my base script: ALTER TABLE STS.ADMIN ADD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fenocean
1 Replies
Tcl_Backslash(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						  Tcl_Backslash(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Backslash - parse a backslash sequence SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> char Tcl_Backslash(src, countPtr) ARGUMENTS
char *src (in) Pointer to a string starting with a backslash. int *countPtr (out) If countPtr is not NULL, *countPtr gets filled in with number of characters in the backslash sequence, includ- ing the backslash character. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The use of Tcl_Backslash is deprecated in favor of Tcl_UtfBackslash. This is a utility procedure provided for backwards compatibility with non-internationalized Tcl extensions. It parses a backslash sequence and returns the low byte of the Unicode character corresponding to the sequence. Tcl_Backslash modifies *countPtr to contain the number of characters in the backslash sequence. See the Tcl manual entry for information on the valid backslash sequences. All of the sequences described in the Tcl manual entry are sup- ported by Tcl_Backslash. SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), Tcl_UtfBackslash(3) KEYWORDS
backslash, parse Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Backslash(3)