Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nc won't send udp broadcast!? Post 302736577 by anotherstevest on Tuesday 27th of November 2012 02:23:05 PM
Old 11-27-2012
Nc won't send udp broadcast!?

Greetings,

I want to send broadcast udp from a script.

This works but is not broadcast:
Code:
echo -n "this is my message\r\n" | nc -u 192.168.0.12 5100

The broadcast version does not work:
Code:
echo -n "this is my message\r\n" | nc -u 192.168.0.255 5100

Suggestions on the right way to do this are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

broadcast

Can anybody hellp me troubleshoot this error. Using HP-Uxix B.10.X " *****ARPA/9000 NETWORKING***** Mon Jun 30 SAT 2003 20:18:12.xxxxxxx DISASTER Subsys: NS_LS_PROBE LOC:01001 Network NS_LS_PROBE DISASTER 1001, pid arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address zzzzzzz! " where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SEB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is my UDP send/recieve buffer size

Hi, If some one was to suggest, "increase your kernal tunables related to UDP, in particular the UDP send/recieve buffer size".... then what would they mean? :confused: How can I find out what this current value is? Thousand many thanks. Neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
3 Replies

3. Programming

UDP socket - can both client and server recv and send

Hi, Am very new to socket programming. When we use UDP sockets to communicate between two processess, will both the client/server socket be able to send/recv ? meaning can sendto()/ recvfrom() be used on both server and client? It could be useful even if anybody provide some link on socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send something via UDP and intercept at other end?

I am looking to do a shell script that can send something simple via UDP from server 1 - to server 2 I want to be able to see on server 2 that I received everything expected.. ie.. I am looking at this to avoid using ping / traceroute to highlight network issues.. if a UDP packet gets lost... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

5. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why UDP broadcast don't run?

I use FreeBSD7.0, I want to use UDP broadcast,my code is following: /*udpcli01.c*/ int main(int argc, char **argv) { int sockfd; struct sockaddr_in servaddr; if (argc != 2) err_quit("usage: udpcli <IPaddress>"); bzero(&servaddr, sizeof(servaddr)); servaddr.sin_family = AF_INET;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

[help] how to send wall/broadcast message to all clients

Hi, as per title, please help me.. I use command wall host1 host2 hellowwwww but it only receive in the host1.. how can I send this to all the clients.. I want this 1 server to send to all the clients.. or is there any program that I can use? I know this openfire, but seems complicated since... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

9. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
NRBROADCAST(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    NRBROADCAST(5)

NAME
nrbroadcast - NET/ROM routing broadcast configuration file. DESCRIPTION
Nrbroadcast is an ASCII file that contains information about each of the physical AX.25 ports that are to have NET/ROM routing broadcasts transmitted from them. Each line has the following format, each field being delimited by white space: port minobs defqual worstqual verbose The field descriptions are: port the port name of the AX.25 port to broadcast on. minobs this is the minimum obsolescence count of a routing table entry to be broadcast on this port. defqual this is the default quality of an incoming routing broadcast from an unknown neighbour. worstqual this is the worst quality node received from a routing broadcast that will be added to our routing table. verbose whether the routes to all of my nodes in my routing table, or just the nodes resident on my machine are to be broad- cast. FILES
/etc/ax25/nrbroadcast /etc/ax25/axports SEE ALSO
call(1), netrom(4), axports(5), netromd(8), nrparms(8). Linux 2 August 1996 NRBROADCAST(5)