Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search file for a date variable? Post 302735987 by ronan1219 on Monday 26th of November 2012 01:22:35 PM
Old 11-26-2012
How to search file for a date variable?

Hello,

I'm trying to write a ksh script which will allow me to to search for yesterday's date within a rtf file. I just need someway to know if the date is in the file, echo results to a text file, and then mail that out.

The format of the date is mm/dd/yyyy.

I had to make a variable for the date I'm searching for since "yesterday's date" can vary.

If this script is ran 5pm-midnight EST I need to look for the current date.

If ran after midnight but before 5pm, I will need to look for yesterday's date.

I have simplified the file names and paths for compliance reasons, but right now I have:

Code:
SOURCE_PATH="/path"
SOURCE_FILE="filename.rtf"

THE_TIME_HR=$(date "+%H")

#Use yesterday's date if ran after midnight EST, use current date if ran before midnight EST

if [ $THE_TIME_HR -ge 17 ]; then
 YEST_DATE=$(date "+%m/%d/%Y") #yesterday's date US
else
 YEST_DATE=$(TZ=EST+24 date "+%m/%d/%Y")
fi

#Look for min date for file validity, if nothing is returned then file should be correct
grep ${YEST_DATE} ${SOURCE_PATH}${SOURCE_FILE)

if [ $? -ne 0]; then

echo "Yesterday's date in file, please correct and reload" > $SOURCE_PATH/file.txt

else

echo "Yesterday's date not found in ClearTran file" > $SOURCE_PATH/file.txt

fi

#end of script

I'm getting the error "syntax error at line 25 : `>' unexpected" (the line I bolded) after the second if statement when I try to echo results to a text file.

Does anyone know what the issue is? Thanks in advance!

Also let me know if I need to clarify anything, I'm a new programmer.

Jay

Last edited by joeyg; 11-26-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Please wrap data and sripts with CodeTags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find file with date and recursive search for a text

Hey Guyz I have a requirement something like this.. a part of file name, date of modification of that file and a text is entered as input. like Date : 080206 (MMDDYY format.) filename : hotel_rates text : Jim now the file hotel_rates.ZZZ.123 (creation date is Aug 02 2006) should be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosh0623
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a file with Current Date

Hi, How can we search for a file with current date(sysdate). Actually i want the file name from a directory which was created today(current date). For example i have a dir /home/arch and i have files with name aglito03axyz.datetimestamp in this directory, but all these files were created... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a date format from a file an replace with a string in PERL

I am very new to Perl. I am struggling so hard to search a date (such as 10/09/2009, 10-09-2009) from a text file and replace with a string (say DATE) using Perl. Please help me out. Thanks in advance. Regds Doren (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Search date pattern in application log file

I am viewing a file in vi editor and would like to search for a date pattern. In the log, the timestamp is enclosed in parentheses ''. I am using the '/' option in vi to search for the pattern. log snippet: 000000f4 ServletWrappe I SRVE0242I: : Initialization successful. 000000f4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vangogh78
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific data in a file based on a date range

Hi, Currently I am working on a script to automate the process of converting the log file from binary into text format. To achieve this, partly I am depending on my application’s utility for this conversion and the rest I am relying on shell commands to search for directory, locate the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for file and display by date

I like "ls -ltr". I would like to search for a file in a large directory recursively and and display all the candidates in reverse order. /usr/bin/find . -name \*.txt This works. How do I display the date and sort the file names by the date in reverse order for the entire directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search log file from a date

Hi All, I want to grep through all the log files created from 20th August. How do I do that? My script will run everyday. So it will take current date as To_Date. My log file name looks like - applog-2012-08-20-000001....applog-2012-08-20-000002...etc. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX: Search file between two Date stamps

Hi, I have a requirement to find a file based on date stamp provided by user. In one of the shared location I get data file say “datafile<dataformat>“. And User will provide the date based on which I need to select a file which is 7 days older, if a file not present within 7 days, then I need... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhosh86467
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
DATE_DEFAULT_TIMEZONE_GET(3)						 1					      DATE_DEFAULT_TIMEZONE_GET(3)

date_default_timezone_get - Gets the default timezone used by all date/time functions in a script

SYNOPSIS
string date_default_timezone_get (void ) DESCRIPTION
In order of preference, this function returns the default timezone by: o Reading the timezone set using the date_default_timezone_set(3) function (if any) o Prior to PHP 5.4.0 only: Reading the $TZ environment variable (if non empty) o Reading the value of the date.timezone ini option (if set) o Prior to PHP 5.4.0 only: Querying the host operating system (if supported and allowed by the OS). This uses an algorithm that has to guess the time- zone. This is by no means going to work correctly for every situation. A warning is shown when this stage is reached. Do not rely on it to be guessed correctly, and set date.timezone to the correct timezone instead. If none of the above succeed, date_default_timezone_get will return a default timezone of UTC. RETURN VALUES
Returns a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | The TZ environment variable is no longer used to | | | guess the timezone. | | | | | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | The timezone is no longer guessed from informa- | | | tion available through the operating system as | | | the guessed timezone can not be relied on. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Getting the default timezone <?php date_default_timezone_set('Europe/London'); if (date_default_timezone_get()) { echo 'date_default_timezone_set: ' . date_default_timezone_get() . '<br />'; } if (ini_get('date.timezone')) { echo 'date.timezone: ' . ini_get('date.timezone'); } ?> The above example will output something similar to: date_default_timezone_set: Europe/London date.timezone: Europe/London Example #2 Getting the abbreviation of a timezone <?php date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles'); echo date_default_timezone_get() . ' => ' . date('e') . ' => ' . date('T'); ?> The above example will output: America/Los_Angeles => America/Los_Angeles => PST SEE ALSO
date_default_timezone_set(3), "List of Supported Timezones". PHP Documentation Group DATE_DEFAULT_TIMEZONE_GET(3)