Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is virtual memory so precious? about brk() Post 302735793 by achenle on Monday 26th of November 2012 07:40:01 AM
Old 11-26-2012
Also, overallocating memory just because it probably won't all be used is a horrible way to run a critical server with stringent uptime requirements.

When the server does run out of memory, the usual response is to kill the process using the most memory - quite likely the very process that's the entire reason you're running that server in the first place.

Example: you deploy a database server on an OS that overcommits memory. When it runs out of memory, the main database process is killed.

Brilliant. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory

Hi, can anyone explain me what virtual memory is ( for which we use vmstat commande line ) comparing with RAM ? many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

3. Programming

how allocate virtual memory

Hi Folks can any body suggest how to allocate virtual memory any function for that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munnu
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Virtual Memory

Hi! I work with HP-UX and I have to monitorize the use of virtual memory for different processes. (java processes for Tibco Adapter) And if these processes exceed a limit send a message to the syslog. I donīt know how to monitorize this... Should I do a script? or use an aplication, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kurohana
3 Replies

5. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory

Hi, Can anyone please help me workout how much virtual memory I have running on a T2000 running Solaris 10. Thanks # df -h swap 3.5G 1.0M 3.5G 1% /etc/svc/volatile swap 3.5G 208K 3.5G 1% /tmp swap 3.5G 56K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

8. Linux

Virtual Memory issue

Hi all, I was compiling my glibc 2.6.1 source files on a new kernel 2.66.22.6 and it seems that i am running into issues with the Virtual Memory. It displays the error message: virtual memory exhausted: Cannot allocate memory‏ I saw an article on how to adjust the parameters but i can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual file or memory?

Hi Experts I encountered a situation recently. I wanted to discuss here and understand the reason behind this. My scenario is something like this: yes > temp & The above command keeps writing the output to the file temp. And this file keeps growing every second. And in the every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
4 Replies

10. AIX

Low Virtual memory available

Hi I am running AIX 5.2. My server is running low on memory. It it using about 1307775 file pages on a total of 1511424 (from vmstat -v). I looked at the memory yesterday morning, and we had plenty of free memory. I did a backup from Windows (ftp mget command) of a large file selection. From... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredrivard
5 Replies
urxvt(1)							   RXVT-UNICODE 							  urxvt(1)

NAME
urxvtd - urxvt terminal daemon SYNOPSIS
urxvtd [-q|--quiet] [-o|--opendisplay] [-f|--fork] [-m|--mlock] urxvtd -q -o -f # for .xsession use DESCRIPTION
This manpage describes the urxvtd daemon, which is the same vt102 terminal emulator as urxvt, but runs as a daemon that can open multiple terminal windows within the same process. You can run it from your X startup scripts, for example, although it is not dependent on a working DISPLAY and, in fact, can open windows on multiple X displays on the same time. Advantages of running a urxvt daemon include faster creation time for terminal windows and a lot of saved memory. The disadvantage is a possible impact on stability - if the main program crashes, all processes in the terminal windows are terminated. For example, as there is no way to cleanly react to abnormal connection closes, "xkill" and server resets/restarts will kill the urxvtd instance including all windows it has opened. OPTIONS
urxvtd currently understands a few options only. Bundling of options is not yet supported. -q, --quiet Normally, urxvtd outputs the message "rxvt-unicode daemon listening on <path>" after binding to its control socket. This option will suppress this message (errors and warnings will still be logged). -o, --opendisplay This forces urxvtd to open a connection to the current $DISPLAY and keep it open. This is useful if you want to bind an instance of urxvtd to the lifetime of a specific display/server. If the server does a reset, urxvtd will be killed automatically. -f, --fork This makes urxvtd fork after it has bound itself to its control socket. -m, --mlock This makes urxvtd call mlockall(2) on itself. This locks urxvtd in RAM and prevents it from being swapped out to disk, at the cost of consuming a lot more memory on most operating systems. Note: In order to use this feature, your system administrator must have set your user's RLIMIT_MEMLOCK to a size greater than or equal to the size of the urxvtd binary (or to unlimited). See /etc/security/limits.conf. Note 2: There is a known bug in glibc (possibly fixed in 2.8 and later versions) where calloc returns non-zeroed memory when mlockall is in effect. If you experience crashes or other odd behaviour while using --mlock, try it without it. EXAMPLES
This is a useful invocation of urxvtd in a .xsession-style script: urxvtd -q -f -o This waits till the control socket is available, opens the current display and forks into the background. When you log-out, the server is reset and urxvtd is killed. ENVIRONMENT
RXVT_SOCKET Both urxvtc and urxvtd use the environment variable RXVT_SOCKET to create a listening socket and to contact the urxvtd, respectively. If the variable is missing then $HOME/.urxvt/urxvtd-<nodename> is used. DISPLAY Only used when the "--opendisplay" option is specified. Must contain a valid X display name. SEE ALSO
urxvt(7), urxvtc(1) 9.15 2012-01-21 urxvt(1)