Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge multiple lines in same file with common key using awk Post 302735725 by protosd on Monday 26th of November 2012 04:20:22 AM
Old 11-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elixir_sinari
Code:
awk -F, 'NR!=1 && p1!=$1{print prev;prev=""}

prev seems to magically appear where you say print prev, but where do you assign its contents?

Is it somehow defaulting to $0 ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge multiple lines from flat file

Hi, I have a tab delimited flat file like this: 189 Guide de lutilisateur sur lappel conférence à trois au moyen d'adaptateurs téléphoniques <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV class=subheader>La fonction Appel conférence à trois </DIV></TD> \ <TD><?php print $navTree;?> vous permet de tenir un appel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge based on common, awk help

All, $ cat x.txt z 11 az x 12 ax y 13 ay $ cat y.txt ay TT ax NN Output required: y 13 ay TT x 12 ax NN (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in a file with Awk - incorrect output

Hi, I would like: FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets Serial1/0:0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 0... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mv652
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to Merge Multiple Lines in a File

I've hunted and hunted but nothing seems to apply to what I need. Any help will be much appreciated! My input file looks like (Unix): marker,allele1,allele2 RS1002244,1,1 RS1002244,1,3 RS1002244,3,3 RS1003719,2,2 RS1003719,2,4 RS1003719,4,4 Most markers are listed 3 times but a few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peggy White
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk / Awk Merge Lines based on Key

Hi Guys, After windows died on my netbook I installed Lubuntu and discovered Gawk about a month ago. After using Excel for 10+ years I'm amazed how quick and easily Gawk can process data but I'm stuck with a little problem merging data from multiple lines. I'm an SEO Consultant and provide... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamesfirst
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to merge multiple files by common column

I have 100 data files labelled 250.1.txt through 250.100.txt. The second column of the data files partially match (there is about %90 overlap). Each data file has 4 columns. I want the merge all these text files by the matching values in the second column. In the output, the first column should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple files with common header

Hi all, Say i have multiple files x1 x2 x3 x4, all with common header (date, time, year, age),, How can I merge them to one singe file "X" in shell scripting Thanks for your suggestions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarguru
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge selective columns from files based on common key

Hi, I am trying to selectively merge two files based on keys reported in the 1st column. File1: #file1-header1 file1-header2 111 qwe rtz uio 198 asd fgh jkl 165 yxc 789 poi uzt rew 89 lkj File2: #file2-header2 file2-header2 165 ghz nko2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns Hi guys, I have many files that I want to merge: file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
5 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)