Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge multiple lines in same file with common key using awk Post 302735721 by elixir_sinari on Monday 26th of November 2012 04:10:15 AM
Old 11-26-2012
Quote:
Where does p1 come from?
p1 is used to store the value of the first field. Since this is done at the end of each line processing, it becomes the previous value of the first field for the current line.

Quote:
Is prev a built-in variable?
No. In awk, the built-in variables are all upper-case words. prev is used to store the line made up by appending segments of the lines which have common first fields. After printing each made-up line, we need to nullify the variable to make it ready for the next line to be made up.

And the cryptic line does what you thought it does. If prev"" (prev is not-null) is true, then we must be having at least 1 line in prev so we need to append a , (FS - field separator, comma in this case, and that's a special/built-in awk variable) and the substring of the line from the second field onwards. Else if prev is null, then it must be the first time since printing the last prev. So, just assign the current line ($0) to prev.

And, I think you've understood rest of the things.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge multiple lines from flat file

Hi, I have a tab delimited flat file like this: 189 Guide de lutilisateur sur lappel conférence à trois au moyen d'adaptateurs téléphoniques <TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV class=subheader>La fonction Appel conférence à trois </DIV></TD> \ <TD><?php print $navTree;?> vous permet de tenir un appel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge based on common, awk help

All, $ cat x.txt z 11 az x 12 ax y 13 ay $ cat y.txt ay TT ax NN Output required: y 13 ay TT x 12 ax NN (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in a file with Awk - incorrect output

Hi, I would like: FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets Serial1/0:0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 0... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mv652
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to Merge Multiple Lines in a File

I've hunted and hunted but nothing seems to apply to what I need. Any help will be much appreciated! My input file looks like (Unix): marker,allele1,allele2 RS1002244,1,1 RS1002244,1,3 RS1002244,3,3 RS1003719,2,2 RS1003719,2,4 RS1003719,4,4 Most markers are listed 3 times but a few... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peggy White
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk / Awk Merge Lines based on Key

Hi Guys, After windows died on my netbook I installed Lubuntu and discovered Gawk about a month ago. After using Excel for 10+ years I'm amazed how quick and easily Gawk can process data but I'm stuck with a little problem merging data from multiple lines. I'm an SEO Consultant and provide... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jamesfirst
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to merge multiple files by common column

I have 100 data files labelled 250.1.txt through 250.100.txt. The second column of the data files partially match (there is about %90 overlap). Each data file has 4 columns. I want the merge all these text files by the matching values in the second column. In the output, the first column should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple files with common header

Hi all, Say i have multiple files x1 x2 x3 x4, all with common header (date, time, year, age),, How can I merge them to one singe file "X" in shell scripting Thanks for your suggestions. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarguru
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge selective columns from files based on common key

Hi, I am trying to selectively merge two files based on keys reported in the 1st column. File1: #file1-header1 file1-header2 111 qwe rtz uio 198 asd fgh jkl 165 yxc 789 poi uzt rew 89 lkj File2: #file2-header2 file2-header2 165 ghz nko2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovah
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns

Join and merge multiple files with duplicate key and fill void columns Hi guys, I have many files that I want to merge: file1.csv: 1|abc 1|def 2|ghi 2|jkl 3|mno 3|pqr file2.csv: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yjacknewton
5 Replies
prev(1mh)																 prev(1mh)

Name
       prev - show the previous message

Syntax
       prev [ +folder ] [ -[no]header ] [ -help ] [ -showproc program ] [ -noshowproc ] [ options to ]

Description
       The command displays the previous message in the current folder.  The previous message is the one before the current message in the folder.
       The message that is shown becomes the current message.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you specify a folder, that  becomes  the  current
       folder.

Options
       -header
       -noheader Displays  a  one-line	header before the message.  The header consists of the name of the folder and the message number.  This is
		 the default behavior.	It can be suppressed with the -noheader option.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-showproc program [ options ]
       -noshowproc
		 Specifies an alternative program to list messages.  The default is to use the program defined by the showproc: entry in the file.
		 As with you can give options to the program at the command line.  These are passed directly to by

The defaults for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      -header

Restrictions
       The  command  is  really  a  link  to  the program.  As a result, if you make a link to and that link is not called your link will act like
       instead.  To avoid this, add a profile-entry for the link to your MH profile and add the argument to the entry.

Examples
       The command in the following example displays the previous message in the folder
       $ prev +copylog

Profile Components
       Path:	   To determine your Mail directory
       showproc:   Program to show the message

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       show(1mh), next(1mh)

prev(1mh)