Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search and replace with mapping from a mapper file in a target file Post 302735363 by bakunin on Saturday 24th of November 2012 01:45:41 PM
Old 11-24-2012
As far as i can see "sed" should be up to the task: go through your mapper file, one line at a time. There are 4 bytes in every line:

1. a "src" character
2. a ">"
3,4. a "target" character.

It is easy to divide in 2 shell variables:

Code:
cat mapper | while read line ; do
     src="${line%???}"
     tgt="${line#??}"
done

Now use these variables to replace all original characters to translated ones. You have to mark you original characters somehow to make sure you don't translate characters twice during various passes. In this case we escape all characters initially with a backslash and remove these as we translate. This way we can - by searching for backslashes in the resultfile - find out if our mapper file is completely covering the input. If still backslashes are there some characters didn't get translated.

Code:
sed 's/./\\&//g' /path/to/infile > workfile # mask all characters with "\"

cat mapper | while read line ; do
     src="${line%???}"
     tgt="${line#??}"
     sed 's/\\'"${src}"'/'"${tgt}"'/g' workfile > workfile.tmp
     mv workfile.tmp workfile
done
mv workfile /path/to/outfile

This silently presupposes the backslash "\" not to be used in your inputfile. Replace it with another (unused) character if this is not the case.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace in file

Hi guys, I have one file with duplicate string. I want to replace all the occurance of that string with some other string. How can I do that in vi editor? Malay Maru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in one file replace the same in next file

yyyyy (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM search and replace with line breaks in both the target and replacement text

Hi, Ive spent ages trying to find an explanation for how to do this on the web, but now feel like I'm :wall: I would like to change each occurence (there are many within my script) of the following: to in Vim. I know how to search and replace when it is just single lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueade7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimised way for search & replace a value on one line in a very huge file (File Size is 24 GB).

Hi Experts, I had to edit (a particular value) in header line of a very huge file so for that i wanted to search & replace a particular value on a file which was of 24 GB in Size. I managed to do it but it took long time to complete. Can anyone please tell me how can we do it in a optimised... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishkomar007
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace from file in awk using a 16 bit text file

Hello, Some time ago a helpful awk file was provided on the forum which I give below: NR==FNR{A=$0;next}{for(j in A){split(A,P,"=");for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i==P){$i=P}}}}1 While it works beautifully on English and Latin characters i.e. within the ASCII range of 127, the moment a character beyond... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in a file and replace the mapped entity in another file

Hello, I looked for all search and replace routines in the forum but could find none which meets my requirement. I have a file in which a set of mappers are provided. The structure is as under a=b c=d e=f A simplistic example from English and French would make this clear: John=Jean... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace in a new FILE.

Hi, more data.txt more srstring.sh input="data.txt" while IFS= read -r var do startdirectory=$loc search=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $1}') replace=$(echo $var | awk -F'=' '{print $2}') find "/tmp/config" -type f -exec grep -l "$search" {} + | while read file do if sed -e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing 12 columns of one file by second file based on mapping in third file

i have a real data prod file with 80+ fields containing 1k -2k records. i have to extract say 12 columns out of this which are sensitive fields along with one primary key say SEQ_ID (like DOB,account no, name, SEQ_ID, govtid etc) in a lookup file. i have to replace these sensitive fields in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh12
11 Replies
MULTIPATH(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 					      MULTIPATH(8)

NAME
multipath - Device mapper target autoconfig SYNOPSIS
multipath [-v verbosity] [-d] [-h|-l|-ll|-f|-t|-F] [-p failover|multibus|group_by_serial|group_by_prio|group_by_node_name] [device] DESCRIPTION
multipath is used to detect multiple paths to devices for fail-over or performance reasons and coalesces them OPTIONS
-v level verbosity, print all paths and multipaths 0 no output 1 print the created or updated multipath names only, for use to feed other tools like kpartx 2 + print all info : detected paths, coalesced paths (ie multipaths) and device maps -h print usage text -d dry run, do not create or update devmaps -l show the current multipath topology from information fetched in sysfs and the device mapper -ll show the current multipath topology from all available information (sysfs, the device mapper, path checkers ...) -f flush a multipath device map specified as parameter, if unused -F flush all unused multipath device maps -t print internal hardware table to stdout -p policy force maps to specified policy: failover 1 path per priority group multibus all paths in 1 priority group group_by_serial 1 priority group per serial group_by_prio 1 priority group per priority value. Priorities are determined by callout programs specified as a global, per-con- troller or per-multipath option in the configuration file group_by_node_name 1 priority group per target node name. Target node names are fetched in /sys/class/fc_transport/target*/node_name. device update only the devmap the path pointed by device is in. device is in the /dev/sdb (as shown by udev in the $DEVNAME variable) or major:minor format. device may alternatively be a multipath mapname SEE ALSO
multipathd(8), multipath.conf(5), kpartx(8), udev(8), dmsetup(8) hotplug(8) AUTHORS
multipath was developed by Christophe Varoqui, <christophe.varoqui@free.fr> and others. July 2006 MULTIPATH(8)