Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat After installing redhat, my laptop boot straight to Windows 7 Post 302735299 by thmnetwork on Saturday 24th of November 2012 08:38:42 AM
Old 11-24-2012
Changing grub to be on the partition with RHEL is probably why it's booting straight to the windows bootlader which is forcing you to do the bootloading the hard way. Installing grub to a partition rather than MBR is for people who have some other bootloader that is expected to be able to chainload to grub. Windows can, but it's the harder way of the two.

It sounds like you haven't really used the RHEL side yet, so I would just do another install but this time leaving grub at the MBR. The RHEL installer should automatically pick up on the fact that you're dual booting and configure the menu option for booting into windows for you, which is why this is the easier way to go: nothing else to do after the install.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP

I know this is a common question, but.... I am working on 2 seperate computers. Each machine has one hdd. I want to Install Redhat with Win2k on one machine, and Redhat with Xp on the other. I know there are some issues with the install sequence to get Grub to work with both, but I am a little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

2. SuSE

Having a prob. installing SUSE Linux on a laptop

Hi Everyone Im just wondering if anyone knows why when you install SUSE Linux 8.0 on a NEC Versa Laptop that KDE does not fill the entire window. There is a peripheral setup that I played with both the display settings and changing the display adapter, but nothing seems to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spiral
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

HELP--Redhat on WinXP laptop PROBLEM!!

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syrex
4 Replies

4. Tips and Tutorials

Octave --- My octuple boot laptop

As I promised in several threads, here are some notes on how I installed several Operating Systems on my laptap. I will give links to the tools that I obtained from various third parties. And I will include the source code for a few scripts that I wrote. Introduction A few months ago the disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)