Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support HP UX root password locked out Post 302734905 by vbe on Friday 23rd of November 2012 04:23:20 AM
Old 11-23-2012
You are not very clear: Is it the root account that is locked ? And so is your HP-UX box a trusted machine? Or is it now one can connect because the passwd has been changed...

Since someone can connect on the box has that person tried to su root?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Enable locked root account

Hi Every one I disable the root account entering wrong password for many time How can I enable the root account I am using Tru64 Unix V4.0G Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root locked out

Hello all. I think I have a big problem. the /etc/passwd file got overwritten and now I can't su as root when I telnet into this machine. I am running yp on a different machine and tried to push the passwd file out to all machines, but it didn't help. I noticed that there is a passwd file in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moca4444
12 Replies

3. AIX

root account has been locked

I'am set the root account locked ON, using smitty, so I can't login or su with root user in my AIX system, some one can help me to unlock root account login ???, sample : :~>su root's Password: 3004-301 Your account has been locked; please see the system administrator. 3004-501 Cannot su to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Maker
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Re-enabling a locked root account on Trusted HP-UX

I knew I had had seen this somewhere:Q: How can I re-enable my root account when I typed in my password wrong 3 times and the account got disabled? A: When your HP-UX system is in the more secure "trusted system" mode, your account is automatically disabled after you have entered your password... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. AIX

locked a password

good morning just a confirmation, to lock a password for a user, we must to write 0 for password min age and password max age option ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

9. Hardware

Hitachi SATA hard disk drive password locked

Hi everyone (see attachments) I bought an HP Elitebook 8460p on eBay and it came with a password-locked Hitachi hard drive which I was told is the original hard drive. I don't know the password for the drive and running the diagnostics tools I see the hard drive is healthy. I tried booting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
9 Replies
CHAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHAGE(1)

NAME
chage - change user password expiry information SYNOPSIS
chage [-m mindays] [-M maxdays] [-d lastday] [-I inactive] [-E expiredate] [-W warndays] user chage -l user DESCRIPTION
chage changes the number of days between password changes and the date of the last password change. This information is used by the system to determine when a user must change her password. The chage command is restricted to the root user, except for the -l option, which may be used by an unprivileged user to determine when her password or account is due to expire. With the -m option, the value of mindays is the minimum number of days between password changes. A value of zero for this field indicates that the user may change her password at any time. With the -M option, the value of maxdays is the maximum number of days during which a password is valid. When maxdays plus lastday is less than the current day, the user will be required to change her password before being able to use her account. This occurance can be planned for in advance by use of the -W option, which provides the user with advance warning. With the -d option, the value of lastday is the number of days since January 1st, 1970 when the password was last changed. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more commonly used in your area). The -E option is used to set a date on which the user's account will no longer be accessible. The expiredate option is the number of days since January 1, 1970 on which the accounted is locked. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD (or the format more com- monly used in your area). A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. The -I option is used to set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. The inactive option is the number of days of inactivity. A value of 0 disables this feature. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the system again. The -W option is used to set the number of days of warning before a password change is required. The warndays option is the number of days prior to the password expiring that a user will be warned her password is about to expire. If none of the options are selected, chage operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current values for all of the fields. Enter the new value to change the field, or leave the line blank to use the current value. The current value is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The chage program requires shadow password file to be available. Its functionality is not available when passwords are stored in the passwd file. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - shadow user account information SEE ALSO
passwd(5), shadow(5) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh <jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com> CHAGE(1)