Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error while checking file existance Post 302734039 by ravigupta2u on Wednesday 21st of November 2012 11:51:00 AM
Old 11-21-2012
Error while checking file existance

Kindly help on below script:
Code:
<<

i='find ...'

if [ -f $i ] then
 echo 'File Exists'
else
  echo 'File Does Not Exist'

>>

If i has some file name then it runs properly but if i has nothing ( blank value) then it throws an error. I dont exactly remember right now but error seems like: "test:..parameter..."

To me it looks like if variablei does not have any file name if statements gets fail.

Could you please suggest me the right way to check if i has some file name and existence of file.

Thanks in advance

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by vbe; 11-21-2012 at 01:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File existance

Guys Iam trying to do a script to find what files are missing in particular directory.I came up with this for i in file6 file7 file8 file9 file10 file11 file12; do if ; then echo " $file not in /mnt/Server/base/i386/ " else echo " $file ... " fi done Iam trying to print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking file existance by extension

I'm sure this can't be too tough, but. I want to check the existance of file(s) by extension. There may be 0,1,N files. If any files exist, then remove them. Thanks for any insight. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niswonp
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check the file existance

Hello, I have two files .. 1. inventory_i.txt 2. inventory_b.txt I want to check if these two files exists. If exists, then do the process, otherwise, quite... if ; then echo "exists" else echo " does not exists" fi The above logic is not working... It is always, displaying Does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking existance of files and directories

I have a list of files and their directories, starting from a particular location. e.g. temp/new/a.c temp/new/b.c temp/old/a.c temp/old/older/b.c etc. Now I want to check the existence of all these files in the respective directories . I am trying something like cat "fileList" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: herojeett
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The checking of folder existance is not working...

Hi all, I have the following code: if ; then echo 'folder not exist'; else echo 'folder exist'; fi The "testing" folder is not exist in /home/batch , but thhe result is 'folder exist'. It seems that the code cannot detect that the folder "testing" not exist. ANybody know the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suigion
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test File Existance Remotely?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me answer this: I'm trying to write an if statement that will run test -f on whether a file exists on another server and if it does not then report that negative outcome to a log file. I'm thinking it should look something like this: if ; then rcp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the existance of multiple files

I am trying to execute the following command to check the existance of a file (which has a date timestamp on it). If there are more than one file, then also it should give me 'success' result. if then <do some work> else <no files> fi Since there are more than one... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Test existance of a file

Hi, I need to find out if a particular file exists and i am using if with -e option. Scenarion is like There is a possibility of two files having nomaincluture like below First file = abc20101028.somthing Second File = abc20101028.somthing.done I need to check abc20101028.somthing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting to check the size of file and it's existance.

Hi, I am totaly new to create a script . Please help. I have file name retrived from SAP table into a internal table . Like :- /home/td_8d02_int_data_IPCL/ILLUSTRATIONS/CGM/l_pc_112138_01_0_01_00.cgm /home/td_8d02_int_data_IPC-L/ILLUSTRATIONS/CMP/l_pc_112138_01_0_01_00.cmp Objective... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitkumar.b2
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)