Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting a global find and replace in an VME output print file Post 302733995 by Gary Hay on Wednesday 21st of November 2012 10:51:36 AM
Old 11-21-2012
Thnaks for the input, I was going down the awk route but like the Perl script looks quite clean

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find /replace and print?

Hi, I have one txt file, and I want replace 2 diffrent texts with somther text and the same time, I want to send that to print.. something like sed -e 's/Times-Roman/Helvetica/'|sed -e 's/Times/Helvetica/' oldfile > newfile < lp is this will workout? any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace in all files using shell scripting

Hi all, I'm looking to find and replace a string in all HTML files within a certain directory, including subdirectories. Normally, I would play with this a little to get it to work, but I can't mess this up, so I'm going to ask here. Basically, I want to find "<title>" in all *.htm* files... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: slothario
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk for a global find/replace in a file, specific column

I am new to unix and awk/sed etc... using C-Shell. Basically, I have a fixed length file that has 4 different record types on it, H, D, V, W all in column 1. I need to change all the W's in column 1 to D's. in the entire file. The W's can be anywhere in the file and must remain in the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with scripting (find and replace)

Hello. I've got to files (source and target). 1) target.txt: .... #: tracopt/mimeview/php.py:97 msgid "" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global search and replace multi line file

Hello I need to search for a mult-line strngs(with spaces in between and qoted) in a file1 and replace that text with Fixed string globally in file1. The strng to search for is in file2. The file is big with some 20K records. so speed and effciency is required file1: (where srch & rplc... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find in first column and replace the line with Awk, and output new file

Find in first column and replace the line with Awk, and output new file File1.txt"2011-11-02","Georgia","Atlanta","x","","" "2011-11-03","California","Los Angeles","x","","" "2011-11-04","Georgia","Atlanta","x","x","x" "2011-11-05","Georgia","Atlanta","x","x","" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find files and replace them in a directory in Shell scripting

I have a directory /java/unix/data In data directory i have so many files from which i want to find some files who look alike below.(there are number of such below such files as well different files too in the data directory) -68395#svg.xml -56789#ghi.xml -67894#gjk.org -56734#gil.txt I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a program-print parameters to output file-replace op file contents with max 4th col

Hi Friends, This is the only solution to my task. So, any help is highly appreciated. I have a file cat input1.bed chr1 100 200 abc chr1 120 300 def chr1 145 226 ghi chr2 567 600 unix Now, I have another file by name input2.bed (This file is a binary file not readable by the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in UNIX Scripting

Hi, Need your advices, Input : select code,status,input from VIEW1.VIEWNAME where IDU_CD IN ('S','N') and status_col='derived')) union select code,status,input from VIEW1.VIEWNAME2 where date='#p1' Expected output : select code,status,input from VIEW1.VIEWNAME where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFR(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFR(8)

NAME
make_sockdfr - Generates frozen route file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfr [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfr reads in a plain-text route file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen route file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.route; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fr. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen route file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen route file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen route file /etc/sockd.fr first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text route file /etc/sockd.route. If you use frozen route file, you must remember to run make_sockdfr every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen version of a previous route file. To find out the contents of a frozen route file, use dump_sockdfr. FILES
/etc/sockd.fr, /etc/sockd.route SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfr(8), sockd.fr(5), sockd.route(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFR(8)