Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk Adding a Period at the end of a line Post 302733979 by metallica1973 on Wednesday 21st of November 2012 10:43:24 AM
Old 11-21-2012
awk Adding a Period at the end of a line

I started venturing in learning the art of using AWK/GAWK and wanted to simply added a period from line #11 to line #28 or to the end of the file if there is data. So for example:

Code:
11 	Centos.NM                         
12	dojo1                 
13	redhat.5.5.32Bit       
14	redhat.6.2.64Bit       
15	mandriva.9.2.32Bit     
16	RELEASE_WIN2003       
17	SaintBox-Ubuntu-x64     
18	SAINTexploitVM-x86      
19	SAINTVM-x64             
20	Ubuntu-12.04.x64        
21	bigbadwolf.x64          
22	WIN2003PATCHED          
23	WIN2003UNPATCH          
24	WIN-IQF3U12CJA5         
25	XPSP3PATCHED            
26	XPPROUNPATCHED          
27	WIN2012                 
28	WIN8_141

to

Code:
11 	Centos.NM.                         
12	dojo1.                 
13	redhat.5.5.32Bit.       
14	redhat.6.2.64Bit.       
15	mandriva.9.2.32Bit.     
16	RELEASE_WIN2003.       
17	SaintBox-Ubuntu-x64.     
18	SAINTexploitVM-x86.      
19	SAINTVM-x64.             
20	Ubuntu-12.04.x64.        
21	bigbadwolf.x64.          
22	WIN2003PATCHED.          
23	WIN2003UNPATCH.          
24	WIN-IQF3U12CJA5.         
25	XPSP3PATCHED.            
26	XPPROUNPATCHED.          
27	WIN2012.                 
28	WIN8_141.

This is what I had so far:

Code:
awk '{ NR==11,NR==28 print $0 "." }' < test_file 
awk: { NR==11,NR==28 print $0 "." }
awk:         ^ syntax error
awk: { NR==11,NR==28 print $0 "." }
awk:                 ^ syntax error

??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line at the end of file

Hi I have few files. For some files the cursor is at the end of last line. For other files, cursor is at the new line at the end. I want to bring the cursor down to next line for the files that are having cursor at the end of last line In otherwords, I want to introduce a blank line at the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somesh_p
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding semicolumn at end of line

Hi , I need to add semicolumn at the end of each line in a file. can any one help me in this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpio
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert period at the end of each line

file1 contains: this is a test this is a test and only a test this is another test this is another test and only another only i'd like my file to look like this: this is a test. this is a test and only a test. this is another test. this is another test and only another only. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding lines at end of a line

This is what I want to do. I want to write a script that reads each line (of the highlighted file below) and add a specific number of blank lines (sometime 2, 3 or 5 lines) at the end of each line while copying that line. For example, here is the input. The sky is blue. I like to eat. I like... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding characters end of line where line begins with..

Hi all, using VI, can anyone tell me how to add some characters onto the end of a line where the line begins with certain charactars eg a,b,c,......., r,s,t,........, a,b,c,......., all lines in the above example starting with a,b,c, I want to add an x at the end of the line so the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding comma at the end of every line

Hi all, I have this sample file (actual file is larger) and i need to add comma at the end of every line. 1234 4335 232345 1212 3535 Output 1234, 4335, 232345, 1212, 3535, TIA - jak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script adding ^M to end of line

I trying to make a simple script to get info from remote servers my problem is the output of this line- SERVER_NAME=`ssh -t $USER@$REMOTESERVER 'hostname'`the output is linux1^M I would like to remove the ^M where is my error? Many Thanks -Steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoodlum
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding semicolon at the end of each line

Hi, I have a script which I need to change. I want to add a semicolon at the end of each line where the line starts with "grant" for e.g. create table(.... ); grant select on TABL1 to USER1 grant select on TABL1 to USER2should become create table(.... ); grant select on TABL1 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding comma to end of each line if more than 1 line

I have a file with dates as '2013-01-01' '2013-01-02' I want the output to be '2013-01-01','2013-01-02' if there is only 1 entry then there should not be any comma. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
6 Replies
cupsaddsmb(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaddsmb(8)

NAME
cupsaddsmb - export printers to samba for windows clients SYNOPSIS
cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] -a cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] printer [ ... printer ] DESCRIPTION
cupsaddsmb exports printers to the SAMBA software (version 2.2.0 or higher) for use with Windows clients. Depending on the SAMBA configura- tion, you may need to provide a password to export the printers. This program requires the Windows printer driver files described below. OPTIONS
cupsaddsmb supports the following options: -H samba-server Specifies the SAMBA server which defaults to the CUPS server. -U samba-user[%samba-password] Specifies the SAMBA print admin username which defaults to your current username. If the username contains a percent (%) character, then the text following the percent is treated as the SAMBA password to use. -a Exports all known printers. Otherwise only the named printers are exported. -h cups-server[:port] Specifies a different CUPS server to use. -v Specifies that verbose information should be shown. This is useful for debugging SAMBA configuration problems. SAMBA CONFIGURATION
cupsaddsmb uses the new RPC-based printing support in SAMBA 2.2.x to provide printer drivers and PPD files to Windows client machines. In order to use this functionality, you must first configure the SAMBA smb.conf(5) file to support printing through CUPS and provide a printer driver download share, as follows: [global] load printers = yes printing = cups printcap name = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba browseable = no public = yes guest ok = yes writable = no printable = yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /etc/samba/drivers browseable = yes guest ok = no read only = yes write list = root This configuration assumes a FHS-compliant installation of SAMBA; adjust the [printers] and [print$] share paths accordingly on your system as needed. MICROSOFT POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
The base driver for Windows 2000 and higher is the Microsoft PostScript driver, which is available on any system running Windows 2000 or higher in the %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSW32X863 folder for 32-bit drivers and %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSX643 folder for 64-bit drivers. The CUPS printer driver is preferred over the Microsoft driver since it supports the page-label, job-billing, and job-hold-until options fully on all printers. However, currently only Windows 2000 and higher is supported by the Microsoft driver, so you will also need to get the Adobe driver to support Windows 95, 98, and Me clients. The Adobe and Microsoft drivers for Windows 2000 are identical. Once you have extracted the driver files, copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: [Windows 2000 and higher] ps5ui.dll pscript.hlp pscript.ntf pscript5.dll Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. CUPS POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
cupsaddsmb can use the CUPS v6 PostScript printer driver for Windows, which is available for download from the CUPS web site. The CUPS printer driver is preferred over the Adobe and Microsoft drivers since it supports the page-label, job-billing, and job-hold-until options fully on all printers. However, currently only Windows 2000 and higher is supported by the CUPS driver, so you will also need to get the Adobe driver to support Windows 95, 98, and Me clients. Once you have extracted the driver files, copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: [Windows 2000 and higher] cups6.inf (from www.cups.org) cups6.ini (from www.cups.org) cupsps6.dll (from www.cups.org) cupsui6.dll (from www.cups.org) ps5ui.dll (from your Windows system) pscript.hlp (from your Windows system) pscript.ntf (from your Windows system) pscript5.dll (from your Windows system) Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. ADOBE POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 95, 98, AND ME cupsaddsmb can use the Adobe PostScript printer driver for Windows 95, 98, and ME, which are available for download from the Adobe web site (http://www.adobe.com). The Adobe driver does not support the page-label, job-billing, or job-hold-until options. Once you have installed the driver on a Windows system, copy the following files to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory exactly as named below: [Windows 95, 98, and Me] ADFONTS.MFM ADOBEPS4.DRV ADOBEPS4.HLP ICONLIB.DLL PSMON.DLL Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the UPPERCASE filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. KNOWN ISSUES
Getting the full set of Windows driver files should be easier. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smb.conf(5), http://localhost:631/help http://www.cups.org/windows/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2013 by Apple Inc. 25 July 2007 CUPS cupsaddsmb(8)