Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't figure out how to find specific characters in specific columns Post 302733765 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 21st of November 2012 03:49:14 AM
Old 11-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk
Try like..
Code:
awk '{if($265=="9999") {print $0}}' test.txt

The OP has mentioned that he/she needs to check the 4 characters in a line/record starting at the 265th column. 265th column will never be the 265th field for awk (in case of splitting on white-space(spaces and/or tabs)).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't figure out how to display specific data from a line using awk.

Hello, I cannot figure this one out. I would like to do the following. I have a line that has 7 words. It is possible that the line can have 20 words too. I always want to show the 9th word and beyond. The 9th word will always change so I do not have something to search for, so I think... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me how many specific characters there are?

i'm trying to get the user to enter a character, then the script should search for how many of that character exists in the file. I have the following code, but it doesn't work properly and it shows the wrong amount (i don't think im supposed to use grep). For example, I want it to say, "There are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kev269
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific characters at specific column positions

Hi all, I need help. I have an input text file (input.txt) like this: 21 GTGCAACACCGTCTTGAGAGG 50 21 GACCGAGACAGAATGAAAATC 73 21 CGGGTCTGTAGTAGCAAACGC 108 21 CGAAAAATGAACCCCTTTATC 220 21 CGTGATCCTGTTGAAGGGTCG 259 Now I need to count A/T/G/C numbers at each character location in column... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thienxho
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first n characters from specific columns

I have a file like: s_20331 803 1 1 5 1:2=0.00000000 1:3=0.00000000 1:4=0.11111111 s_20331 814 1 1 5 1:2=0.00000000 1:3=0.12611607 1:4=0.00000000I would like to remove the four characters "x:x=" from all columns containing them (in my actual file, there are 15 total columns (i.e. columns... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with 0 for characters in a specific position

Need command for position based replace: I need a command to replace with 0 for characters in the positions 11 to 20 to all the lines starts with 6 in a file. For example the file ABC.txt has: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangabalu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling specific characters from a find variable

I'm trying to do something like this: find . -name blablabla -exec ln -s ./"{:53:14} blablabla" \; The idea is find blablabla and create a symbolic link to it using part of it's path and then it's name, "blablabla." I just don't know if I can call characters out of a find variable. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
16 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)