Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Linux fork, execv, wait question Post 302733083 by jim mcnamara on Monday 19th of November 2012 06:18:51 PM
Old 11-19-2012
Please post this in the homework forum. Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

simple fork question

When executing this simple program: #include <unistd.h> void main() { int f; printf("\n Parent procces ID=%d\n",getpid()); f=fork(); if(f==0) { printf("\n Child process ID=%d father=%d\n",getpid(),getppid()); } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb666
2 Replies

2. AIX

Question on High I/O Wait

Hi Group, We have 4 p590 with AIX 5.2 and ML06. The servers are connected to the external SAN (hitachi drives). When running the vmstat or topas command, I see that there is a high I/O wait. It sometimes crosses 90% and the average is over 55%. The server is expeiencing high performance... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i use fork,sleep,wait and write in a process with father and son..??

Hi.. I was unable to do (gcc code) which refers to the fork,wait,sleep and write.. what i want to do: A process of father create (fork) a son and will sleep 90 seconds..After this, son process create a grandchild and will sleep 60 seconds..Grandchild process will sleep for 30 seconds..After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumlucin
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about wait

I have a shell script that i want to run and then wait 30 minutes before running the rest of the script. When I google the "wait" command, it seems to work for waiting for child processes or some pid to stop. How do I wait for 30 minutes before continuing? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

7. Programming

Beginners question about fork

Hi everyone: I'm developing a dynamic library for notifications, this library is used for a daemon that i've programmed, when something goes wrong the library should send an email to an administrator, but since sending an email is a non-vital process then it can fail (it should work as an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
4 Replies

8. Programming

multiple fork() question

I writing a program that forks three times but only on the parent process. The three children processes then produces output in order. 1, 2, 3. I am confused on how to do this. I have tried multiple if and else if statements but the output does not come out right. How should I go about doing this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TWhitt24
1 Replies

9. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

10. Programming

question about fork

i'm experimenting fork function and i found this code #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <wait.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <unistd.h> int main(void) { int fd; pid_t p; p = fork(); fork(); if (p>0) { fork();} fork(); fork();... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blob84
6 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)